Ferric Chloride and trees?

If I pour old ferric chloride on a tree, what effect will it have?  Will
it kill it?

Re: Ferric Chloride and trees?

   It's a byproduct of the steel manufacturing process where they strip
iron oxide with hydrochloric acid and is used in small quantities in
water treatment plants. Probably not too toxic to the tree, you trying
to kill a tree?.

Re: Ferric Chloride and trees?

A cabbage tree has gone feral, and I have some stale ferric chloride.

Re: Ferric Chloride and trees?

a $10 bottle of glyphosate should fix it

Re: Ferric Chloride and trees?

Ferric chloride is used as the primary first stage water filtration process
(flocculation) for all of Sydney's water. 25ppm IRRC

Dave.

Re: Ferric Chloride and trees?
Not as well as cupric sulphate , it might catch a small coff though

Re: Ferric Chloride and trees?

dissolve some copper in it and it might.

Re: Ferric Chloride and trees?

It will stain the tree pretty badly ;)

Had a feral umbrella tree attacking the slab of the house from about 5
metres away (neighbours property).

Bought a small bag of copper sulphate crystals from the rural
supplies, dug and chopped a root off, and added plenty
of the crystals to the end, filled it in and in a few weeks, the
problem was gone.

Was considering boring a 20mm dia hole in the tree, filling it with
the crystals and plugging it, but it was on a neighbours property.

Asked them to do something about it, but the place is run by a body
corporate, and it could take forever for any action to be taken.

Re: Ferric Chloride and trees?

It will stain the tree pretty badly ;)

Had a feral umbrella tree attacking the slab of the house from about 5
metres away (neighbours property).

Bought a small bag of copper sulphate crystals from the rural
supplies, dug and chopped a root off, and added plenty
of the crystals to the end, filled it in and in a few weeks, the
problem was gone.

Was considering boring a 20mm dia hole in the tree, filling it with
the crystals and plugging it, but it was on a neighbours property.

Asked them to do something about it, but the place is run by a body
corporate, and it could take forever for any action to be taken.

** Sneaky, but obviously effective.  Some people just don't realise just how
invasive and destructive the root systems of some trees can be if planted in
the wrong location.  One of my neighbours has a similar problem with the
root system of his neighbour's Tipuana tree.  It has an extensive and
invasive root system and is attacking and damaging his sewer line. :-(
Large doses of CuS04 down the toilet seems to be keeping it under control,
but alas hasn't killed the offending tree (yet).

Re: Ferric Chloride and trees?

    A plumber I knew leapt the neighbours house while they were out,
located their pvc septic pipe and punctured it with a long crowbar so
that the neigbour's problem tree grew roots into the pipe and blocked
it. A few months later and the offending tree was  gone and the pipes
relaid.

Re: Ferric Chloride and trees?

Well that's one way to generate business, or did he not get the job of
re-doing the sewer?

James

Re: Ferric Chloride and trees?

  He just wanted them to remove a problem tree on the boundary which
they'd refused to do.

Site Timeline