Failed Electro

** See  ABSE  for graphic image of faulty 6800uF electro cap.

  Not one for the squeamish....

.....  Phil

Re: Failed Electro

Please excuse my ignorance, but what group is ABSE?

Colin

Re: Failed Electro

"Colin Horsley"

**  ABSE  =   " alt.binaries.schematics.electronic  "

 Not available with Google Groups or a few yank ISPs that have banned all "
alt " NGs.

.....   Phil

Re: Failed Electro

& iinet who stopped carrying binary ng's some time ago......   :(

Re: Failed Electro

"Den"

**  The ABSE pic is here:

http://www.usenet-replayer.com/cgi/content/framebanner_3?http://www.usenet-replayer.com/5/0/8/1/1218321805.80.jpg

 " ** The attached pic is of a 6800uF, 80 volt, 85C electro of recent
Taiwanese
manufacture, which has not been subjected to abuse in any way. When removed
from the equipment last Friday, it was completely open circuit and with the
top slightly bulged.

When the seal was broken, it hissed like a can of beer does when you pull
the ring and brown liquid bubbled out the opening.

The brand is " Su'scon "   -   no kidding.

http://www.su-scon.com.tw /

So the "Capacitor plague " is still with us.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague "

....   Phil

Re: Failed Electro

http://www.usenet-replayer.com/cgi/content/framebanner_3?http://www.usenet-replayer.com/5/0/8/1/1218321805.80.jpg

a bit like "Mean-Well" SMPS's

Re: Failed Electro

yuck.

lucky it didnt explode.  That would have made a mess.

Re: Failed Electro

    Yep, that's why I can't look there.

Bob

Re: Failed Electro

Many people can't easily access ABSE, that's why it's a bit silly to
post there these days. Would be much better if everyone simply posted
images to a web based photo host or other such site, then *everyone*
can see them.
Most ISP's include your own web space for free.

BTW, limited access to ABSE is available on the web here:
http://www.usenet-replayer.com/groups/alt.binaries.schematics.electronic.html
Takes a while for images to get cached though, and often not
everything shows up.
The cap photo in question is there.

Dave.

Re: Failed Electro
Thanks. Westnet newsgroup only has "alt.binaries.sex*****" then it goes to
" alt.binaries.sleazemovies"    No "schematics" in sight.

Viewed at:-
http://www.usenet-replayer.com/cgi/content/framebanner_3?http://www.usenet-replayer.com/5/0/8/1/1218321805.80.jpg

Pretty gross.

Colin

Re: Failed Electro

http://www.usenet-replayer.com/cgi/content/framebanner_3?http://www.usenet-replayer.com/5/0/8/1/1218321805.80.jpg

Cheers Colin

Re: Failed Electro

"Colin Horsley"

http://www.usenet-replayer.com/cgi/content/framebanner_3?http://www.usenet-replayer.com/5/0/8/1/1218321805.80.jpg

**  The other 6800uF filter electro in the same amplifier ( Ashton BA400H)
is in similar condition  -  not quite as advanced but would have failed
completely very soon.

I reckon it the whole batch is involved.

.....   Phil

Re: Failed Electro

alt

   You do know that "schematics" is before "sex" in an alphabetically
sorted list, don't you?  If it didn't, most guys would never find it. :)

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

Re: Failed Electro

You got me!  The first item in "alt.binaries.s*  " is "alt.binaries.seduction"
Colin

Re: Failed Electro

   Sounds like a pretty sorry NNTP server. :(

   The Usenet Replayer website lets you veiew most
alt.binaries.schematics.electronic messages.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

Re: Failed Electro

Marginally half sane people like us are far more fun.  ;-)

Tim

--
Deep Friar: a very philosophical monk.

Re: Failed Electro
On Mon, 11 Aug 2008 21:24:36 -0500, "Tim Williams"

Exactly. And we design better stuff, too.

That just stands to reason.

John

Re: Failed Electro
On Aug 12, 2:56A0%pm, John Larkin

That's John's reasoning for you. He certainly designs more saleable
stuff than I do, but if I was as blindly optimistic about the quality
of the stuff I designed I might have been able to sell more of it.

--
Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Re: Failed Electro

Wrong, as usual. The way to design great stuff is to be absolutely
paranoid about its quality, and to trust nothing... not parts, not
datasheets, not PCB fabricators, not code, not observations, not
measurements, not people, and especially not yourself.

What, you find that inconsistent with a determination to sell
mind-rippingly good, insanely priced, perfect-out-the-door products to
the most demanding customers on the planet? Of course you do, you're
sane.

John

Re: Failed Electro
On Aug 13, 12:02A0%am, John Larkin

Agreed. My problem is that you seem to place too much trust in the
proposition that you have suceeded; you trust yourself too much.

I don't find any inconsistency in your means to achieve the result you
are striving for; I just worry about the level of quality control that
lets you be so optimistic about the results you claim to have
achieved.

Clearly too sane for my own good.

--
Bill Sloman, Nijmegen