Triggering 12V electro lock

Would it be possible to trigger 12V electro lock with 5v relay that is connected directly to raspberry ? So, relay board would be powered from raspberry.

GM

Reply to
gm

You could add a 5V to 12V boost converter, $1.

 Thanks,
    - Win
Reply to
Winfield Hill

How much current can the raspberry supply? And what's the resistance of the

5V relay coil? A simple emitter follower would work if it doesn't have enough poop.

(If I'm understanding the question.) George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Poor question phraseology IMO. He will also need some snubbing for the coil's back EMF, or else risk burning his Pi. ;-)

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

You're a smart fellow, Win. How on *earth* do they do it for that price??? Please tell me, I'd *really* like to know!

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

You'd need enough current to operate the relay, which might mean driving a transistor switch from an I/O line.

A solid-state relay would be better, but you'll probably still have to search a bit to find a happy match between GPIO drive ability and the relay's current requirement.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

I'm looking for work -- see my website!
Reply to
Tim Wescott

My girlfriend teaches English as a second language to Chinese foreign exchange students, who already have a decent faculty with the language and are looking to go into business, etc.

When she describes the American health care system many of them say "Unbelievable! Fantastic! It's the greatest system we've ever heard of! Everyone paying their own way, just like my billionaire Dad does for me.'

Reply to
bitrex

yes, assuming the lock already has a 12V supply.

Jasen Betts

I think he's got a pre-built board with relay and transistor etc.

Jasen Betts

There are already plenty of low cost door access electric lock power supply controllers that are much more economical than using Arduino.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred