eBay gives up fight

** It's all over and sanity ( plus the ACCC) finally prevail.

http://smallbusiness.theage.com.au/starting/technology/ebay-backs-down-on-paypal-911873276.html

The mad idea was a non- starter from the beginning.

Wot were the eBay jerk-offs thinking  ?

.....   Phil

Re: eBay gives up fight
http://smallbusiness.theage.com.au/starting/technology/ebay-backs-down-on-paypal-911873276.html

..$profit$..$profit$..$profit$..

Re: eBay gives up fight

"swanny"
http://smallbusiness.theage.com.au/starting/technology/ebay-backs-down-on-paypal-911873276.html

**  Of course,  but it is impossible to believe they went into this without
seeking legal advice and getting a law firm to write to the ACCC for them.

So they musta got some really bad advice.

Suckers.

....   Phil

Re: eBay gives up fight

http://smallbusiness.theage.com.au/starting/technology/ebay-backs-down-on-paypal-911873276.html

I suspect they got the advice they paid to hear.
Ebay wanted to believe it, the lawyers told them it was a possibility. They
probably didn't think it was appropriate to tell Ebay they were being
complete dickheads.

And stupid to boot!

Gotta love it.

Dave.

Re: eBay gives up fight

http://smallbusiness.theage.com.au/starting/technology/ebay-backs-down-on-paypal-911873276.html

eBay still 'forcing' sellers to use PayPal

http://www.theage.com.au/news/web/ebay-still-forcing-sellers-to-use-paypal/2008/07/04/1214951011001.html

Re: eBay gives up fight

http://smallbusiness.theage.com.au/starting/technology/ebay-backs-down-on-paypal-911873276.html
http://www.theage.com.au/news/web/ebay-still-forcing-sellers-to-use-paypal/2008/07/04/1214951011001.html

Yep, it got away with that sneaky one.

How to piss-off your sellers 101

Dave.

Re: eBay gives up fight
http://smallbusiness.theage.com.au/starting/technology/ebay-backs-down-on-paypal-911873276.html
http://www.theage.com.au/news/web/ebay-still-forcing-sellers-to-use-paypal/2008/07/04/1214951011001.html

There was an excellent comment about Ebay's tactics left here, from a supposed
insider:

http://blogs.smh.com.au/mashup/archives//019361.html?page=2#comments

According to this, pissing off the small sellers is exactly what the new
business model is.

Re: eBay gives up fight
On Jul 6, 8:17 am, swanny

Fark!
Thanks for the link.

Dave.

Re: eBay gives up fight

I would blame the usual suspects, "money, power and control".

Unfortunately for them, and many of the Ebays traders the damage has
already been done from what I have seen.

Within a week or so of the initial announcement, the number of bids/
bidders and watchers on items I was selling and categories I browse
regularly fell noticeably. Also the number of people offering to buy
off ebay rose a lot. Have not seen anything like it in the 6 years I
have been listing on Ebay, and it wouldnt surprise me if many of the
burnt sellers don't come back, or only list rubbish that they will
take anything for just to get rid of it.

Also notice that you still have to offer paypal as a payment method,
so they have had a "win" on that (so far).

With the unprecedented amount of deadbeat non paying winning bidders,
(who you cant even leave neg feedback for now) the one thing that they
could have looked at doing for sellers that might have compensated for
it (and save them losing money by having to refund final value fees) ,
is to have offered to forcibly deduct (through pay pal etc) money from
the accounts of non-paying winning bidders or provide a debt
collection service on behalf of the seller, but i have my doubts that
would work in many cases.

Re: eBay gives up fight

http://smallbusiness.theage.com.au/starting/technology/ebay-backs-down-on-paypal-911873276.html

**Oh yeah, they've given up:

http://www.smh.com.au/news/web/ebay-still-forcing-sellers-to-use-paypal/2008/07/04/1214951011001.html

Not.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: eBay gives up fight

"Trevor Wilson"
http://smallbusiness.theage.com.au/starting/technology/ebay-backs-down-on-paypal-911873276.html
http://www.smh.com.au/news/web/ebay-still-forcing-sellers-to-use-paypal/2008/07/04/1214951011001.html

** Idiotic context shifting.

" Although eBay yesterday backed down on plans to lock out paying by money
order, direct bank deposits and cheques, it has not rolled back a recent
policy forcing all sellers to at least offer PayPal as one of the payment
options."

 Wot a wanker.

......   Phil

Re: eBay gives up fight
On Sun, 6 Jul 2008 10:43:40 +1000, "Trevor Wilson"

:
:
:>
:> ** It's all over and sanity ( plus the ACCC) finally prevail.
:>
:>
http://smallbusiness.theage.com.au/starting/technology/ebay-backs-down-on-paypal-911873276.html
:>
:> The mad idea was a non- starter from the beginning.
:>
:> Wot were the eBay jerk-offs thinking  ?
:
:**Oh yeah, they've given up:
:
:http://www.smh.com.au/news/web/ebay-still-forcing-sellers-to-use-paypal/2008/07/04/1214951011001.html
:
:Not.

While Ebay can insist that sellers offer Paypal as ONE of the method of payment,
they can NOT insist that this is the ONLY method. This is what Ebay attempted to
do but the ACCC has ruled it would be classified as "exclusive dealing".
Consaequently they have said "Ebay, naughty, naughty - we are not going to allow
you to do that."

Re: eBay gives up fight

"Ross Herbert"

** Correct.

That is why eBay had to formally apply to the ACCC for an * exemption * from
the usual anti-competition provisions of the TPA.

Far as their new rule about sellers having to  OFFER  PayPal as an option  -
that is simply a legitimate condition of doing business with eBay.

But not, in fact, a significant anti-competitive tactic.

Remember, the basis of all business is to screw the competition....

.....    Phil

Re: eBay gives up fight

It's just another way to piss off the small time sellers who they don't
want.

If Joe Blogs wants to sell just one item under $200 on Ebay and accepts
PayPal, then they get hit with yet another fee for tranferring the money
from PayPal into their account.

So that's a listing fee, a final value fee, a PayPal fee, and a PayPal
account transfer fee. All in eBay's pocket. And if it's all too much hassle
for Joe Blogs to transfer that money, then eBay keep the lot.
You gotta hand it to'em.

Dave.

Site Timeline