DSE G1928 DVD player PSU failure

If anyone has a DSE G1928 DVD player, I suggest that they replace all the BRC branded electrolytic capacitors on the PSU PCB (ROCO-V22A.POWER Ver 2.0), if they are able. I've just had one come in with catastrophic capacitor failures and one burned up resistor.

Judging from the following reverse engineered circuit diagram, I suspect that this is, or will be, a common problem.

See

or

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

I guess that's why DSE can retail the DVD player for $29! How much do the replacement caps cost? :->

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

Why not just go to Strathfield Car Radios. and get there $19 box. And stop wasting your time repairing the $29 DSE crap.

Reply to
Greg

hi, i think u might have missed the point, who gives a toss about what it cost , mayne , he was bored , maybe he lives 100 km or more from a strathfield, hey and just maybe, he WANTED TO. and why not if its only going to cost a couple bucks to fix ??? and how do u know the other player wont bugger up , at least if he replaces the caps , the machine will last a bit longer.

Reply to
mark krawczuk

On Mon, 14 Jan 2008 15:57:21 -0800 (PST), "David L. Jones" put finger to keyboard and composed:

It cost me about AU$3 for 8 Hitano EXR series 105degC low impedance types. Needless to say I did the job for a friend. I believe the G1928 players originally sold for $79, and then were reduced to $49.

Anyway the G1928 has been fun to play with. At the moment I've added an RS232 port in order to upload and download the firmware. I've also managed to change the DSE background to a nice alpine scene. One extra thing this player has is a USB connector on the decoder PCB. However, there appears to be no corresponding USB module in the firmware. Fortunately the G1928 looks very similar to an Aldi TEV1020 player which cost $39 and which does have the USB module present in the firmware (but not in the hardware). Hopefully I can transplant the Aldi firmware into the G1928 and get a functioning USB port.

BTW, hacking players with Sunplus chipsets is relatively difficult because most of the available tools are in Russian or Chinese, as are most of the hacking forums. I spend most of my time trying to decipher instructions or console outputs. Unfortunately Google's translator produces some weird results. If a Russian speaker is watching this thread, I would welcome some help with a few phrases.

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

It doesn't matter.

Some of the funnest stuff I'm pulled apart to hack has been cheap crap.

Cheap crap is cheap crap, it's all good.

--
Linux Registered User # 302622
Reply to

On Tue, 15 Jan 2008 15:24:07 +1100, "Greg" put finger to keyboard and composed:

The same PSU PCB was used in a $99 Sansui DVD player sold by KMart. In my experience buying a DVD player is a "crap" shoot (pun intended), whether you opt for a snob brand or a generic. If your only problem is the PSU, not the optical pickup, then you are lucky. A PSU failure is usually a cheap, easy fix. I'm also finding that the current decoder chips get very hot to the touch. As a rule I add stick-on heatsinks to these chips and the motor driver chip.

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

On Tue, 15 Jan 2008 16:27:56 +1100, Franc Zabkar put finger to keyboard and composed:

I should add that the G1928 handles DivX5 and Xvid right out of the box, even though the DSE web site makes no mention of this.

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

And they sell here in NZ for $79nz

But stores have limited stock..

Reply to
noone

On Tue, 15 Jan 2008 09:48:58 +1100, Franc Zabkar put finger to keyboard and composed:

I've just had a look at another G1928. The caps are branded "Rubycon". They are the YXA series which are "standard" 105degC types, not low ESR. All are still in good condition, but I wonder if they are genuine.

This is the datasheet:

The measured dimensions of the caps labelled 220uF/16V and 220uF/25V are 6x11mm for both, whereas the datasheet specifies 6.3x11mm for the

16V cap and 8x11.5 for the 25V cap. The 1000uF/25V cap measures 10x20mm, which is as expected.

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar