Double Headed Fakes

Hi all,

back in 2000/2001,  DSE  ( and others) were selling counterfeit Motorola
power transistors,  both over the counter and supplied in amplifier kits.

This first came to my attention via to old " Electronics Australia Q&A Forum
" when a NZ fellow posted about experiencing multiple, unaccountable
blow-ups with his DSE 100 watt amp kits.

Suspecting fake MJ devices, I picked up a sample MJ15003 device from my
local ( Burwood, NSW) DSE store, tested it and then opened it up for a peek.
What was inside was astonishing.

You can see JPEGS of what I saw then,  now,  on ABSE.

Same heading as here.

ABSE  =   alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

.......   Phil

Re: Double Headed Fakes

I have copped this in the past with unsatisfactory (IE: lasted about
10 mins in use) 2n6287 / 2n6284 devices
Do you have a good source for genuine versions of these devices in
Aus ?

The genunine (and reliable) ones from the original amplifier were
marked "GE/RCA" or the "M" (motorola symbol)

Re: Double Headed Fakes

"kreed"

**  Wot -  with two chips inside ??

   If not,  then you are on a whole nuther issue.

 **  Post that question to the NG  - not me.

......  Phil

Re: Double Headed Fakes

The 2N6284 is available from Farnell

Dave.

Re: Double Headed Fakes

What did the CEO of Woolies have to say when you informed him that his
organisation was engaged in fraudulent and deceptive activities?

You did tell him, didn't you :)

Re: Double Headed Fakes

"swanny"

** Were they  ?

That would be a stretch, based on the facts available and would just be
hotly denied.

DSE staff eventually informed themselves of there being a bit of a problem
when some of the " MJ15004s " turned out to be NPN  !!

This page has some more info on the story.

http://sound.westhost.com/fake/counterfeit-p1.htm#mj15003

Mr Elliot was first informed about of the fakes being on sale by me, then
did his own investigations.

Other MJ numbers were involved and I also discovered fake  RCA 2N3771s  on
sale at DSE stores a bit later on.

I can tell you for a fact that neither the NSW police, NSW Fair Trading, the
TPC, the NZ Commerce Commission nor the Federal Police or even my local
federal member of parliament could give a hoot about  DSE  (or anyone else )
importing and/or trading in fake electronic components with forged
trademarks.

Makes you feel real safe  -  eh  ?

.......   Phil

Re: Double Headed Fakes

I'm sure Martin di Stasio would make it into a hard-hitting story anyway!

I remember when DSE had their own brand of jelly-bean transistors. I wonder how
good they ever were?

You're right. Counterfeit currency, DVD's, CD's, software and even clothing get
a higher profile and more attention than components. I guess it's up to the
various trademark owners to police and prosecute if they can.

No, not really.
Given the amount of Chinese rubbish that breaks down in no time it's not
surprising that they aren't filled with counterfeit components.

Re: Double Headed Fakes

"swanny"

**  Lemme  assure  ya   -   the general public are just not interested in
anything even half so  *geeky *  as fake components being sold to hobbyists
and repair techs.

 So neither are the media.

 **  Irrelevant.

** They could not,  even if they wanted to, cos you have got to know who the
culprit is and catch them red handed with the stock.

Only the police, customs officials etc have the powers of entry, search,
seizure and the ability to insist that folk associated with the scam supply
information or face prosecution for obstruction.

Eg  -   police would start at DSEs head office, interview all the purchasing
staff, demand to see relevant purchase documents, find out exactly where the
fakes came from  AND what was done with the ones that were not sold.

Motorola cannot do any of that  PLUS  are not interested in spoiling
relations with one of their bests customers for mobile phones.

......  Phil

Re: Double Headed Fakes

So that wouldn't be the story - too geeky as you say, and a big audience
turn-off.

So how about something like this instead, just to improve the ratings:

"In today's world, everyone's lives are affected by technology and electronics.
From the humble kitchen appliance to air traffic systems, communications, water
and electricity infrastructure and transport."

[shots of airport/atc/planes][shot of traffic lights, trains][shot of
cellphones, comms towers][shot of dams, generators and power control
centre][shot of TMC].

"Imagine if all this was under threat from unscrupulous operators flooding the
industry with substandard counterfeit components, the building blocks that make
all this possible. Imagine these fake components being virtually
indistinguishable from the real ones and may fail at any time."

[shots of traffic chaos, meltdown in trading room, plane on fire, blackouts etc]

"Well it would appear that such a scenario may be unfolding as several industry
professionals have discovered..."

Re: Double Headed Fakes

"swanny"

** That would be a  colossal  " beat up " .

.......   Phil

Re: Double Headed Fakes

Sure would. Something the tabloid TV channels would be eager to do :)

[Mike]: Looks at camera, serious face, nods. "Mmmmmmm. Distrurbing story. We'll
be back with more right after the break." [Looks down, shuffles papers].

Re: Double Headed Fakes

"swanny"

  **  Bollocks.

   You are an utter  IDIOT.

Re: Double Headed Fakes

communications,
flooding
that

We'll

OK, you've done all the hard work for them, now send them the script :-)

MrT.

Re: Double Headed Fakes

On Aug 25, 8:05 am, swanny
turn-off.
etc]
There was such an article along those exact lines on one of those
programs during the 1990s about counterfeit bolts and fasteners ending
up in aircraft and possibly vehicles.  Many of these were sub standard
(were not high tensile where they were supposed to be) and were even
falsely marked.

I dont know what the end result was of this being exposed to the
public

Re: Double Headed Fakes

"kreed"

**  I remember seeing that on TV   -   scary stuff.

**  Well, I for one have never got on board a plane since ....

But seeing as jet airliners  REALLY  crash because some maintenance guy left
a switch in the wrong position or covered up crucial sensors with gaffa
tape, or some fool loaded incendiary devices into the cargo hold or a door
latch was not fully locked etc etc ...

Fake bolts are entirely unnecessary.

.......   Phil  :-0

Re: Double Headed Fakes

Yep, and is still happening of course.
And the airlines are now even employing unqualified safety inspectors it
seems :-(

Just as you might expect, bugger all!

MrT.

Re: Double Headed Fakes

"kreed"

** Google turned up one air crash that was attributed to the use of
counterfeit and substandard bolts.

In 1989, a Norwegian Convair 580 (a bit like a DC3) crashed after losing its
tail fin -  55 people were killed.

BTW

It is very sobering to look at the very looooong list of fatal airliner
crashes in the last 20 years or so.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_notable_accidents_and_incidents_on_commercial_aircraft

EG

An Airbus A300 nosed dived into a NY suburb in 2003 killing all 260 on board
just after take off   -   for no better reason than the pilot was too "
rough "  in his handing of the ruder controls, causing it to snap off due to
overload.

......   Phil

Re: Double Headed Fakes

Interesting to note that looking at those lists, 2007 has the highest
number of accidents / incidents listed out of any year in that page,
and 2007 is nowhere near finished yet.

Re: Double Headed Fakes

"kreed"
 "Phil Allison"

  **  Why did  " kreed "  completely ignore this ?

      Dearly love to know.

** Then try to be a smart by posting this nonsense.

The listing is  FAR  from comprehensive in any year.

See the word  " notable "  ??

Means any damn thing they like.

.......  Phil

Re: Double Headed Fakes

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_notable_accidents_and_incidents_on_commercial_aircraft

    But can you remember the crash of Vickers Viscount VH-TVC into
Botany Bay in November 1961 with the loss of all on board?
    Story at http://www.airwaysmuseum.com/Vickers%20Viscount%20VH-TVC.htm

Bob

Site Timeline