Computer fan speed control pot?

Hi All; I installed another fan in my computer case. Now it sounds like a Jumbo Jet taking off. I realised that I only need the fan when the weather is hot. I got to wondering if I couldn't install a pot in series with the fan to slow down it's speed and, by turning slower, quiet it down.

Trouble is I don't know what size of pot (in ohms) to put in the line. Any suggestions?

Norm

Reply to
NormL

There's all sorts of things you can do.

Have a look at

Or consider an off the shelf item like

IMHO pots present problems, either use PWM or a switched diode voltage dropper

Rob

Reply to
Robert Murphy

I don't have a direct answer to your question but I installed a second fan and DPDT Center Off switch to switch them in series, parallel or off. It works well so I guess that a pot of about the same resistance as your fan should be OK.

Reply to
David Segall

Or... try here?.....

Gary Slater