Computer fan speed control pot?

Hi All;
    I installed another fan in my computer case. Now it sounds like a Jumbo
Jet taking off. I realised that I only need the fan when the weather is hot.
I got to wondering if I couldn't install a pot in series with the fan to
slow down it's speed and, by turning slower, quiet it down.

    Trouble is I don't know what size of pot (in ohms) to put in the line.
Any suggestions?

    Norm

Re: Computer fan speed control pot?

There's all sorts of things you can do.

Have a look at
http://www.cpemma.co.uk/index.html

Or consider an off the shelf item like
www.zalman.co.kr/eng/product/view.asp?idx70%&code01%7

IMHO pots present problems, either use PWM or a switched diode voltage
dropper

Rob

Re: Computer fan speed control pot?

I don't have a direct answer to your question but I installed a second
fan and DPDT Center Off switch to switch them in series, parallel or
off. It works well so I guess that a pot of about the same resistance
as your fan should be OK.

Re: Computer fan speed control pot?

Or... try here?.....

http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php