Component shortages? - Page 2

Re: Component shortages?

My clients usually only care about three things:

a. That it works.

b. Unfettered availability for the next decade or so.

c. Ability to find a programmer in every village.

Check, check, and check :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com /

Re: Component shortages?

You could even go a little crazy and put a lot of the glue logic
in PALs, PLDs.  They must be 'commodity' devices by now, I would
think.

--Winston

Re: Component shortages?

I don't trust them much. At first they were milliamp guzzlers and many
still are. Except maybe for Coolrunner and similar. Then we had
situations where legacy PALs/GALs became unobtanium. This never happened
with regular logic chips as long as you avoided the most obscure ones.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com /

Re: Component shortages?

There might not be a market for something that can't do high
performance signal processing.

Re: Component shortages?

A lot of times it turns out that one can get away with much less fancy
signal processing. In some cases none at all. BTDT. So far the topper
was a self-cal scheme to gang several ADCs. They had a huge DSP on the
board, did all kinds of frequency domain finagling, it ran forever,
barely ever converged and mostly ended in a calibration error. So, I
rolled up the sleeves, pulled out the bush knife and got rid of all
that. In came a few analog phase shifters, servo loops and an odd but
fixed test signal. Oh, yeah, there were two signal lines which
technically constitutes a digital world. One for "start cal", the other
to signal "done". "Done" came on a few milliseconds after "start cal",
every single time, and calibration was dead on.

The fancy DSP was now demoted to an RS232 arbiter because some other
part of the board needed that functionality. I think they left it on
there for historical purposes and because they didn't want to re-write
the RS232 code.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com /

Re: Component shortages?

viestissä: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Well x86 is multi-sourced and quite backwards compatible.

-ek

Re: Component shortages?

Discretes, discretes, you don't need no steeenking discretes.

I only use a single piece of wire when I can get away with it!

More often than not I can't.

:-)

Nial.

Re: Component shortages?

My point is  that you have a good relationship with your supplier and
supplier FAE.

Some engineers on this thread...  won't give the suppliers the time of
day... until they need them for
supply or technical support.

Joe

Re: Component shortages?

And give the FAEs feedback in a friendly way. I discover bugs on a
regular basis. Then the style would be "Your so-and-so opamp has the
following issue ..." instead of "Your so-and-so opamp really sucks" :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com /

Re: Component shortages?

I find the sales types to be very useful resources.  Sure, I probably spend a
half-hour a week with the various sales people and FAEs, but I can also use
them to search for components and information.  Playing one against another
(in a professional manner, of course) is a good way to get the pricing we
want, as well.  Then there's the freebie parts (and lunches ;-).

Most of all, I don't see any reason to be rude to them.

Re: Component shortages?

No you get to be very rude on the net, in many places......

besides here you admit to wasting sales peoples time, and their pay is
likely at least partially commision.

so you waste their time, run the price down and cost the sales people
money.

congrats you a excellent example of a bad person........

Re: Component shortages?

Never mind the stalker.  ...just another leftist loser who can't stand being
wrong.  ...kinda like DimBulb.

Site Timeline