Cockies in the cable

Cockatoos suspected of breaking Telstra fibre

Cockie wanna cable?

Telstra has fingered prolific numbers of cockatoos as the potential culprits
behind damage to a temporary fibre cable
put in place after floods in the Kimberley region last month.

ABC Rural News first reported that animals had contributed to internet and phone
outages in the region by 'munching' on
the telco's infrastructure.

The floods had earlier caused a major backhaul link to break in a remote area on
the Fitzroy River, causing problems for
residents north of Broome and in the Kimberley, according to Telstra area
manager Tony Carmichael.

Carmichael said Telstra had diverted some internet traffic onto diverse paths
and also run a temporary cable above
ground to add capacity on the route.

However, the temporary cable also suffered a break when animals thought to be
cockatoos managed to penetrate the
sheathing and access the glass fibres.

"There's definitely evidence of animals causing some damage," Carmichael told
iTnews.

"Looking at the cable we believed the damage was caused by cockatoos - simply
because there were a lot of marks along
the sheath length, which I guess is typical of a cockatoo going up and down the
length of the cable."

Full Story:
http://www.itnews.com.au/News/254265,cockatoos-suspected-of-breaking-telstra-fibre.aspx

More at:
http://www.abc.net.au/rural/news/content/201104/s3189101.htm

Cheers Don...

==================

--
Don McKenzie

Dontronics Blog:     http://www.GodzillaSeaMonkey.com
Re: Cockies in the cable
http://www.itnews.com.au/News/254265,cockatoos-suspected-of-breaking-telstra-fibre.aspx
At the old deep space station at Woomera, we had to put covers on the
cable trays on the 85' dish. It was the only way to stop the cockies
from eating the cables, we tried everything else including shooting a
few and hanging the bodies from the dish, but nothing worked other than
the covers. NASA sent out some expensive expanded polystyrene covers for
some of the smaller dishes, the cockies ate those in less than an hour.

At the Carnarvon tracking station, we had some large HF horizontally
polarised yagis. the cockies used to land on the elements and bounce
until they broke. We tried painting them black so that they got really
hot in the sun, and painting some sticky goo on them that was supposed
to discourage birds, but the only solution in the end was to lower the
antennas to the ground when not in use ie. outside of a mission.

Cockies would have to be one of the most destructive wildlife in this
country.

:
:At the Carnarvon tracking station, we had some large HF horizontally
:polarised yagis. the cockies used to land on the elements and bounce
:until they broke. We tried painting them black so that they got really
:hot in the sun, and painting some sticky goo on them that was supposed
:to discourage birds, but the only solution in the end was to lower the
:antennas to the ground when not in use ie. outside of a mission.
:
:Cockies would have to be one of the most destructive wildlife in this
:country.

Except perhaps, Camels.

A mate of mine who participates in culls of wild pigs, ferral dogs and cats,
donkeys and camels in outback WA told me the other day that one station owner
where he shoots had to a repair bill quote around $700K for fences damaged by
camels - there are millions of the buggers out there.. He can't afford it in the
current environment so the fences will have to stay down. They just rest their
rumps agains the fence and rock back and forth until it leans over. There would
doubtless be other station owners in a similar position.

Cockies (generic term for galahs, corellas and other large cokatoos) have always
been a damaging species for Telecom. It wasn't so bad when the network relied
upon aerial pole routes and copper/galvanised wire links but as soon as plastics
and other similar synthetics were included in the external plant the cockies
discovered they were a nice way of getting beak exercise. They have made a mess
of the Hills clothes hoist line in my back yard as well....

Re: Cockies in the cable

We mount Yagis on rotators on car rooftops and use them for radio
direction finding ("foxhunts") including on forest tracks and up
to pretty high speeds. The most reliable way I've seen is to use a
flexible joint at the base of each element, which takes a certain
force to bend but then goes floppy. If you did this such that it
simply drops to vertical before it gets to its breaking point, the
cockies would fall off and soon give up sitting on it. I reckon
that would be a good solution for the longer elements on VHF TV
antennas too, except with digital TV those aren't really necessary
any more.

Did you have to have horizontal polarisation? Because a quad would
otherwise be a good option.

Re: Cockies in the cable

Thanks for the advice, but I was talking of the far past (Gemini
missions), and we had to make do what NASA supplied.

Re: Cockies in the cable

behind damage to a temporary fibre cable

(snip)

This has been a known issue in cocky areas as long as insulated or
sheathed cables have been exposed above ground.  Coax or power cables,
all get the treatment.

Only goes to show that Telstra continue to employ people without a
clue.  Onya, Telstra!

Re: Cockies in the cable

So, what did you want them to do instead, wait until they had a crew to put
it underground before trying to get the Customer's back with a service? I'd
be willing to bet that if it was your service off the air that you would
want it back ASAP.

Seems to me that it's you without a clue.

Actually, Telstra/PMG/AOTC/Telecom Aust used to have its own research labs a
long time ago where this type of thing was trialled and had input to
Manufacturers to overcome problems, if possible. In earlier days a lot of
equipment was modified to suit local conditions and requirements. Trouble
was that with competition you can't spend that time and money when your
competitor just buys an item off the shelf. Probably wouldn't have been any
difference which telco did the work as cockies just don't discriminate
between Companies.

Hate Telstra if you wish, but do it for the right reasons.

PhilD

Re: Cockies in the cable

Telstra (well Telecom...) is also responsible for the training of a hell of
a lot of technical guys over the years as well.

Re: Cockies in the cable

PMG, 68

Re: Cockies in the cable

lot of technical guys over the years as

PMG, Class of 59, with 500+ training each year around that time.
Worked with 3 of them from the class of 59 in a later life for 25 years, and
still have contact with them today.
http://www.dontronics.com/atl_images/bbq-2011-02-28.jpg

Cheers Don...

====================

--
Don McKenzie

Dontronics Blog:     http://www.GodzillaSeaMonkey.com
Re: Cockies in the cable

:>
:
:>> Telstra (well Telecom...) is also responsible for the training of a hell of
a lot of technical guys over the years as
:>> well.
:> PMG, 68
:
:PMG, Class of 59, with 500+ training each year around that time.
:Worked with 3 of them from the class of 59 in a later life for 25 years, and
still have contact with them today.
:
http://www.dontronics.com/atl_images/bbq-2011-02-28.jpg
:
:Cheers Don...
:
:====================

Class of 56 Perth....

Like yourself Don, we maintain contact and have an annual dinner for our intake.
This year (about 3 weeks ago in fact) we had some 60 odd attendees. One of our
number who attended has been based at ABC studios in Sydney for many years, and
despite being in his 70's, is still working under contract for the ABC to do the
technical stuff for Macca on Sunday.

Another group of ex-techs who worked in Pier Exchange hold regular bi-monthly
lunches where we discuss and solve the problems of the world. There are many
other groups of ex PMG/Telecom/Telstra/DCA/ABC techs around the country who hold
regular get togethers.

As far as Telecom actually training technical staff - that all finished many
years ago in the mid 90's. It is a fact that a number of private companies over
the years took advantage of this "free" source of technically trained people and
"bribed" them to move away from Telecom for a few pieces of silver. I doubt
there would be more than a few of those trained techs still with the
organisation and those who do, are old and grey like me. I often wonder how an
organisation as big as Telstra can survive these days with a supposed technical
workforce which only knows how to drive a computer. Network knowledge is a thing
of the past and actually working in the field on equipment is largely left to
private contractors. I visited Wellington Exchange (17 equipment floors) a few
years back and it was virtually empty of people and all floors were blacked out.
Up until the mid 90's it was a hive of activity with more than a hundred tech
staff working there. Building infrastructure maintenance is performed by a
private contractor who is housed on the 15th floor.

Re: Cockies in the cable
of
intake.
the

That's a nice story, and one that I doubt will be repeated greatly in future
generations.
I dare say on evidence, you would have to be in your early 70s also Ross.

We got a small intake from WA in 1959, and I had a list of those names 12 years
ago, but I doubt that I can find them today.

We had a 40 year reunion in Victoria in 1999, and I was expecting a 50 year one
in 2009, but it didn't happen. As I know
of several people that have passed away in the group since then, I guess the key
organizers may have been part of that
group.

So we just end up with a handful of a few old PMG work friends we still know,
getting together from time to time.

Only problem with old age is ....... sorry, what was I saying?

Cheers Don...

========================

--
Don McKenzie

Dontronics Blog:     http://www.GodzillaSeaMonkey.com
Re: Cockies in the cable

:>
:> :On 15-Apr-11 12:53 AM, PhilD wrote:
:> :>
:> :
:> :>>  Telstra (well Telecom...) is also responsible for the training of a hell
of
:> a lot of technical guys over the years as
:> :>>  well.
:> :>  PMG, 68
:> :
:> :PMG, Class of 59, with 500+ training each year around that time.
:> :Worked with 3 of them from the class of 59 in a later life for 25 years, and
:> still have contact with them today.
:> :
http://www.dontronics.com/atl_images/bbq-2011-02-28.jpg

:> :
:> :Cheers Don...
:> :
:> :===================:>
:>

:> Class of 56 Perth....
:>
[...]
:========================

The oldest group I know of in Perth is the 1952 intake fo TIT's and they have an
annual lunch at a popular watering hole in the CBD. Their numbers are dwindling
so they also invite other intakes as well as instructors and engineers who made
it from being TIT, to participate in their function. It is usually well attended
and we even have a 93 year old ex-instructor Vic Beacham who comes up from
Bunbury. Actually someone drives down to Bunbury to pick him up and take him
back again and that's a 320km round trip. Old Vic is an environmentalist and
still stands in the protests about logging native forests....

Re: Cockies in the cable

Which part of the curriculum covered the Cocky Cable snatching phenomenon?

Re: Cockies in the cable

Not sure, but I reckon this now ex manning training centre lecturer would
have taken it;

http://www.aviculturalsocietynsw.org/bob_philpot.html

Re: Cockies in the cable

:
:> On 14/04/2011 11:29 PM, Dennis wrote:
:>>> Actually, Telstra/PMG/AOTC/Telecom Aust used to have its own research
:>>> labs
:> ...
:>> Telstra (well Telecom...) is also responsible for the training of a hell
:>> of
:>> a lot of technical guys over the years as well.
:>>
:>
:> Which part of the curriculum covered the Cocky Cable snatching phenomenon?
:
:
:
:Not sure, but I reckon this now ex manning training centre lecturer would
:have taken it;
:
:http://www.aviculturalsocietynsw.org/bob_philpot.html
:

Bob Philpot was '56 TIT intake.

Re: Cockies in the cable

Bob was one of the lecturers for some of us '86 starters.

Re: Cockies in the cable

If they knew that it would be prone to cocky attack - and that's my
point - then a temporary cable should be just that.  If they don't
have CP (cocky-proof) stuff in their armoury, then expect the
temporary fix to be attacked and get on with a proper fix.  What's the
betting in today's understaffed outfit (supplemented by contractors)
some shiny-bum said "that's back on the air, now let's focus on other
things" rather than addressing the vulnerability of their temp fix?

Whatever you reckon.  Just because half the over-50
technically-inclined in this country did a stint at TTS doesn't give
you a monopoly on the right to express a view.

Telecom and predecessors were the biggest sheltered monopoly this
country is ever likely to see.  Competition? Pfffft!

I do, and mostly for the right reasons.

Re: Cockies in the cable

When you have a major event, there is always more than enough work to
keep everyone busy for along time afterwards and replacement of
temporary fixes is most efficently left to routine maitenance.

Re: Cockies in the cable

You're probably right, they probably did say that and it was probably about
getting the other Customers and links back up and running. Or it might have
been that after a long period away from home doing urgent repairs in
conditions that wankers like you would never desire to experience they went
back home for a break. At times that home is up to a 1000 km or more away
via roads that may still be flooded or severely damaged in which case they
probably flew in by chopper and could only take in limited equipment for the
repair.

It still seems to me that it's you without a clue of what it take to operate
in remote locations and conditions like that.
Maybe, but at least it does give me and insight from actually having been
there, done that rather than some armchair critic who doesn't seem to have a
clue. BTW, what is your experience?

Don't know where you get that from, but where I was and experienced country
and metro installation and maintenance you couldn't get a more dedicated
crew to getting what had to be done back then to provide and maintain Aust
wide upgrades from manual operation right up to the modern electronic
exchanges.  I doubt that you have any knowledge of what it took in manpower
and equipment to achieve what you take for granted today. If you have any
problem with all that take it up with the Politicians (both sides) not the
hands and feet people who spent years of their life doing it in probably
places you wouldn't consider visiting on a holiday let alone live there for
extended periods. Yes we/they were paid to do it, but not necessarily enough
to put up with some conditions and enjoy it. Appreciation for what was being
done mostly came from people in the Country, not wankers like you who
complain about the littlest thing.

As for your comment about "competition" as far as I and many others were
concerned, people bitched about Telstra/PMG/AOTC/Telecom Aust and wanted
competition without any understanding of what that would ultimately mean.
Well, you got your competitors and you got your interfering from Politicians
and if you don't like what you got from that then blame yourselves for not
knowing what you should have pressured for. Billions have been wasted on
duplication of cable services and mobiles, Telstra privatised, and now more
billions wasted on setting up a new monopoly in the NBN. A new monopoly BTW
that is from the same Labor that at least where I was started the rot of
outsourcing. From a Labor BTW that campaigned that they were going to
protect us.

What, your mobile momentarily went off air somewhere and you had to go to
the trouble of hitting redial, or can't understand why you can't drive
across the whole of Aust while still on a call?

Grow up, do you think that subscribers of other Telco's don't have issues
with theirs as well. They can all give crap service at times. I have issues
with some Managers too that I used to be under but I don't bad mouth the
whole Company because of it.

PhilD

Site Timeline