Changing face of Sydney's Silicon Alley. - Page 2

Re: Changing face of Sydney's Silicon Alley.

Ah, of course. That would make more sense.

Andy Wood
snipped-for-privacy@trap.ozemail.com.au

Re: Changing face of Sydney's Silicon Alley.

"Malcolm Smith"

** RDS was always in Broadway near the corner with Harris Street.  There was
a long counter that began from just inside the door -  with no self serve
stock at all.   I worked behind the counter there for just one day in
973  -  while on secondment from Bill Edge's electronics store in Burwood.

After the original owner died, his two ( middle aged) daughters took over,
immediately sacked the long time manager and engaged new staff to replace
the others who, except for one, all left in disgust.

The daughters changed the shop around to allow for some self service.

One of the new staffers told me the place was being run by " mad women"  and
he didn't know how much longer he could tolerate it. The business closed
within a year.

** The was Geoff Wood,  store manager for many years.

BTW:

Does anyone remember Julie,  the office girl who sometimes took a turn
serving customers ??

......  Phil

Re: Changing face of Sydney's Silicon Alley.

There was the main Tandy (Intertan) Electronics warehouse at Mount
Druitt as well. The shop front there had a "back room" that contained
all sorts of odd's and end's - evaluation products Tandy were looking
at stocking (or rejected), junked parts and boards from the repair
workshop etc. Went there every weekend when I was a kid to see what
new stuff they had in.

Dave.

Re: Changing face of Sydney's Silicon Alley.

Applied Technology in Waitara (the funny little building is still there) used to
do microprocessor stuff (SC/MP, 2650 and then the Z80).

Diggerman Electronics for cheap mail-order passives.

Re: Changing face of Sydney's Silicon Alley.

On Jun 1, 8:33 pm, swanny

IIRC Applied Technology is the Microbee mob owned by Owen Hill. EA
Editor Jim Rowe did a stint there when he was between publishing jobs.

Dave.

Re: Changing face of Sydney's Silicon Alley.

Forgive my ignorance but what does IIRC stand for
malcolm

Re: Changing face of Sydney's Silicon Alley.

  If I Recall Correctly.

  I was going to direct you to sites that contain such acronyms, but I've
still to find one that contains everything (or even most of) the ones we used
back in the Fido days.

  I hope they're not dying, present-day trend is to use those stupid
abbreviations.

  C U LTr.   Sigh, a sign of things to come (or are they here already?).

  ANFSE.  It's quite sad really.
--
Linux Registered User # 302622
<http://counter.li.org

Re: Changing face of Sydney's Silicon Alley.

Dawn has arrived John - I have seen this often and not known its meaning.

thanks - Malcolm

Re: Changing face of Sydney's Silicon Alley.

Or "If I Remember Correctly", depending on who you believe :-)
Meaning is the same though, unlike all the ambiguous ones like LOL, which
once means Lot's of Love or Laughing Out Loud depending on context

MrT.

Re: Changing face of Sydney's Silicon Alley.

or Lots Of Laughter!

Dave.

Re: Changing face of Sydney's Silicon Alley.

which

Yep, that's the trouble with three letter acronyms, just about anything can
fit, and they get used for many different meanings.
My favourite is still "TLA". though :-)

MrT.

Re: Changing face of Sydney's Silicon Alley.

"Mr.T"

** See:
http://acronyms.thefreedictionary.com/tla

then bloody   POQ   !!!

.....   Phil

Re: Changing face of Sydney's Silicon Alley.

Microbee and Owen Hill happened a long time after Applied Technology started. I
remember going up there in the mid-late 70's for very early mpu's, way before
the Z80.

Re: Changing face of Sydney's Silicon Alley.

    Not National Semiconductor SC/MPs...?

Re: Changing face of Sydney's Silicon Alley.

The very same. Followed by the 2650 a few years later.

Site Timeline