Ceramic disc 100nF vs Mono ceramic 100nF

I have in my collection of capacitors, some ceramic disc 100nF and
monolithic blue ceramic 100nF.

Can they be substituted for each other?  I have been having a difficult
time searching for anything that is conclusive, or for that matter
anything suggesting a use for the mono's.

They are both 50v, 100nF, ceramic type.

Re: Ceramic disc 100nF vs Mono ceramic 100nF

Should add that I am aiming to use these with a 7805 regulator.

Re: Ceramic disc 100nF vs Mono ceramic 100nF

     I've been using both types with 7805 regulators for a awful lot of
years and I've never had any problems with either. :)

Bob

Re: Ceramic disc 100nF vs Mono ceramic 100nF

In that case either will work just fine.

Dave.

Thank you Was: Re: Ceramic disc 100nF vs Mono ceramic 100nF

Thanks for the replies.  It helps a lot.

Hypothetically, could I substitute either when I require a 100nF
capacitor in circumstances other than a voltage regulator?

Re: Thank you Was: Re: Ceramic disc 100nF vs Mono ceramic 100nF

     No worries. Unless the circuit's critical in relation to
capacitance variation with temperature or a couple of other very subtle
characteristics, you should be able to interchange them without any
problems.

Re: Thank you Was: Re: Ceramic disc 100nF vs Mono ceramic 100nF

Yes, in all but the most critical cases where the circuit relies upon
a some very specific characteristic of the capacitor.
Low dropout voltage regulators are one example where the capacitor can
be fairly critical (the 7805 is not one of these, so is much more
tolerant).

Dave.

Site Timeline