Cabling for projectors

I've now cat5'd my house, put good speaker cable around and decided
against running shielded (I'll use the network)

However, while I don't have a projector today, I'd still like to run
cable through the wall.

I figure I need to run a VGA cable, but is there a limit to their length?

I'd like full resolution so want to avoid component video or s-video,
though I think I'll run both of them anyway.

Anyone have a sensible answer to the max-length of VGA cable (and where
it can be purchased by the metre?)

Cheers!
Rick Measham

Re: Cabling for projectors

Run Cat-5e, put computer near monitor? I had a sparky at one place i
worked run 20m VGA in a boardroom to a Plasma panel. worked a treat.

Re: Cabling for projectors

I've not done it myself, but a friend ran about 20m of video/mouse/keyboard
extension cable from his study to the lounge so he could play games on the
projector screen when not watching movies. Also worked a treat. So just buy
one or two of those extension cables and run the keyboard and mouse leads as
well 'just in case'.

Cheers.

Ken

Re: Cabling for projectors

We had a guy out at work a while back to run a VGA link between our PC
display desk and the bank of LCDs we have demo'ing from a splitter .. Cable
run was easily 25-30m long, guy turned up with a roll of it, probably a 100m
roll of VGA cable, and just put his own plugs on while he was there .. dunno
what company he was from, just some unbadged contractor we hired..
electricians are probably a good place to start, see where they buy theyr
stuff ..

Re: Cabling for projectors

or HDMI or MD-A1 or something newer, it might be better to run conduit with
nice easy bends.

long enough I expect. more than 30m AFAIK.

Bye.
   Jasen

Re: Cabling for projectors

snipped-for-privacy@isite.net.au says...
I brought a VGA extension lead off the net, it was 20m long and very
good quality, but cost over $70 i think, the web site had them up to
about 50m long but the price got horrendous. sorry can't find the site
anymore as it was a while ago.

Re: Cabling for projectors

Update ...

found the mob who I brought off they are called  www.techbuy.com.au