aus.Re: DI 101? - Page 2

Re: aus.Re: DI 101?

border1.nntp.dca.giganews.com!nntp.giganews.com!nx01.iad01.newshosting.com!newshosting.com!post01.iad01!news.buzzardnews.com!not-for-mail

Got it. Very interesting if not altogther bemusing !

Graham

Re: aus.Re: DI 101?

Experience. And a damn good tutor. You know how hunters often have the heads of
their prey stuffed ? Shame I can't do the same.

At the height of the meow trying to destroy a group I posted to I could issue
around 50 abuse reports in an evening. That was tops though.

Graham

Re: aus.Re: DI 101?

Surely your "deadline" has long passed Graham?
Your posts are starting to look a little vacuous.

Iain

Re: aus.Re: DI 101?

The deadline to modify his behaviour. I'm not a meanie. I haven't (yet)
seen any more cancer or death threats.

Besides, these things don't usually happen overnight (except one notorious
example which had the abuse crowd baying for my blood).

Graham

Re: aus.Re: DI 101?

Oh I doubt it. There are to date only 2 serious abusers I've failed to 'nick'
and besides, both have pretty much shut up now. Both use far cleverer ways of
covering their tracks than Philthy does.

Graham

Re: aus.Re: DI 101?

Whatever the outcome, I give you high marks for trying. We've become
accustomed to a debased usenet, accustomed to rudeness, accustomed to evil.

It's bad to become accustomed to bad things.

Bob Morein
(310) 237-6511

Re: aus.Re: DI 101?

I totally agree

Graham

p.s. I checked it wasn't from Buzzard this time !

Re: aus.Re: DI 101?

The Indians are great fun and usually very sociable. Just be careful doing
business with them though.

Graham

Re: aus.Re: DI 101?

Which country is that?
Membership of the Commonwealth is basically in the hands of the pollies
and have you ever known them to give up any excuse for a jolly?

As they say here;
You are a beaut,
We the salute,
Elizabeth the last.

Re: aus.Re: DI 101?

demonstrated

Mozambique.

It serves its purpose.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commonwealth_of_Nations

Graham

Re: aus.Re: DI 101?

Since millions of citizens of India and 100s of thousands of citizens of
South Africa live in the US, I don't have to go very far to converse with
them, and thus I know how they think. Just ask anybody of Dutch descent
about their *pleasure* with the British military adventures in South Africa
at their expense.

I note that those *lovely places* called "Concentration Camps" were invented
by the British during their attempt to suppress personal liberties in South
Africa. Talk about covering yourself with glory in the pages of history!

So what if they are still sore about the fact that we did indeed bomb them
back into the stone age, as promised. I can imagine the laughter if Finland
made that threat.

Obviously Ian, you didn't learn very much from the experience. Old dogs, new
tricks, and all that. ;-)

Re: aus.Re: DI 101?

Fundmanentally no different to the camps you put your Japanese citizens in
during WW2. Except I don't think we confiscated their property too.

Graham

Re: aus.Re: DI 101?

Well yes, they were both composed of buildings.  While the US accommodations
were spartan, the survival rate was very, very high.  The US paid tens of
millions in compensation, and issued formal apologies.

Note that Canada interned tens of thousands of Japanese at the same time.
Thus, the British Commonwealth is in no position to point an accusing
finger.

True, Kitchener's "Scorched Earth" policy was about total destruction, not
confiscation.

There was a very high death rate in the British concentration camps due to
disease and malnutrition.The disposition of the property of the thousands of
dead hardly mattered to them.

Interesting what the allegedly superior British educational system does not
teach...

Re: aus.Re: DI 101?

Big difference. The Japanese Americans weren't actually fighting you. The Dutch
(Boers) were however fully at war with us.

Graham

Re: aus.Re: DI 101?

Given the serious problems we had with sabotage during WW1, many were not in
the mood to experiment.

Again, there's no comparison with Kitchener's Death Camps and mass
destruction. There were not millions of dollars in compensation, and there
was no apology.

Furthermore, a British Commonwealth nation also ran detention camps for
their Japanese. I believe that Canada's per-capita rate of detainment was
far greater than ours.

But they had a good  reason to fight you.

Re: aus.Re: DI 101?

The main 'second' Boer War was started by the Boers (the Dutch) and they
eventually lost.

"First, the Boers mounted pre-emptive strikes into British-held territory in
Natal and the Cape Colony, besieging the British garrisons of Ladysmith,
Mafeking and Kimberley"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_Boer_War

I don't know anyone of Dutch descent living here who holds anti-British views.
They're generally very friendly.

Graham

Re: aus.Re: DI 101?

Would you expect Dutch with anti-British sentiments to:

(1) Emigrate to the UK?

(2) Voice their opinions to a citizen of the UK?

Nahh, the Dutch with anti-British sentiments came to places where they knew
they would find people with like experiences and sentiments. IOW, the US.
;-)

Note the congenital disrespect of the US from countries that we saved from
total destruction at least twice: UK & France.

Our first *mistake* was rising above them, and our second *mistake* was
staying there. ;-)

Re: aus.Re: DI 101?

Who says either truly disrespect you ? As opposed to your relatively recent
behaviour.

I used to be terribly pro-USA until a few brain dead Presidents caused
worldwide conflict.

It's one reason I dropped my Republican (i.e. anti-Royal) feelings. The thought
of Margaret Thatcher as President is enough to make my blood run cold. And I
dare say she could have been.

Graham

Re: aus.Re: DI 101?

The Scandinavian nations in general seem to hold the US
in rather low esteem. There are often comparisons in the
Swedish press of  American and Scandinavian educational
systems, social policies, salary levels,  political structure,
etc etc.

In most instances, the US comes out very badly. It seems
that the US Bachelor degree is at roughly the same
academic level as the Swedish school leavers' certificate.
A  gem that made me chuckle was the disclosure that
Joan of Arc was Noah's wife:-)

While most Scandinavians are fluent in two or more
languages (more difficult than English) some areas of the
US have a 47% illiteracy rate, and many millions of
Americans don't have a bank account because the
use of an ATM is too complex for them!

It seems to that a large percentage of Americans did
not know how many states make up the US .
Even Barack Obama thought there were 57!

In addition only 26% of American high-school
students knew anything at all about the EU, and only
a tiny percentage knew how many nations comprised
the European Union. Not one of those interviewed
could name them all (25 at the time)  In view of the
alarming lack of general knowledge, and to avoid
dragging the average percentage of correct answers
into single figures, the question "How many of the
EU member nations belong to NATO?" was not asked.

Worrying?

I wear with pride the tee-shirt, given out by the
hotel in Saigon, on which is written in Vietnamese
"I am not an American" :-)

Iain

Re: aus.Re: DI 101?

It is known as "Ankle Biting".

More ankle biting.

Most of the smarter, more industrious Scandinavians emigrated to the US
decades ago. Who cares what those laggards that are left behind think?

Site Timeline