Audiophile - plywood PCB ?

http://www.audiosalon.cz/gallery/id.87.html

Go to the bottom row of the gallery, then to the second pic from the
left.

The other pics on the bottom row show the same thing from other
angles.

That "pcb" looks like plywood to me.  Does it improve the sound ? ;)

The dual motor turntable  a couple of rows up from there looks
interesting.
Why ?

Re: Audiophile - plywood PCB ?

It's plywood but its not a PCB, probably the components are wired
underneath with wire. Haven't you seen pre-PCB electronics?

Tom

Re: Audiophile - plywood PCB ?

I realise that, hence the term "PCB" but why use it ?

Older gear I can remember was wired using tagstrips with components
wired point to point

Re: Audiophile - plywood PCB ?

My guess it is mostly visual effect, helps to extract money from fools.

Tom

Re: Audiophile - plywood PCB ?

Plywood Circuit Board? :)

Re: Audiophile - plywood PCB ?

"kreed"

** Gives it a better timbre I believe .....

But seriously,  using plywood as the insulation material for a ( high
impedance) valve circuit is a very poor idea -  cos wood is hydroscopic.

Once the wood absorbs even a small amount of moisture from the air - the
material will become conductive, resulting in serious bias shifts all over
the place and maybe producing cracking & squealing noises in the audio
output.

I have seen this actually happen when someone decided to rewire a modern
"Fender" guitar amp using a hard grey cardboard with solder studs and solid
wire in place of the original fibreglass PCB.
The problem proved near impossible to fix.

Original Fenders used a similar technique -  but Fender had the sense to
fully impregnate their cardboard with hot wax beforehand.

....  Phil

Re: Audiophile - plywood PCB ?

Couldn't get the Protel router to work on plywood so I used the Makita
instead.

Re: Audiophile - plywood PCB ?
  wood  nt  every one want one of these ??  he he he

Re: Audiophile - plywood PCB ?

kind of like a  matrix board, it's  not printed on the back (so not a
_printed_ circuit board, just a support for the components), look how
the wires are terminated on rings of copper. dry cellulose is a good
insulator.

I think that's got three motors, like the black one on the fifth row.

run it off 3 phase power, less flutter :)

--
⚂⚃ 100% natural

Re: Audiophile - plywood PCB ?

Definitely plywood, you can see the layers on the edge, but it looks
like discrete wiring not printed. Ok I suppose if it is dry and well
lacquered, the heat from the tubes should help keep it dry. There is a
guy in Canberra who makes expensive tube amps, he uses wooden strips
with brass screws as tag strips.

It probably uses high grade Burmese plywood needles :)

Site Timeline