Cheers Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Re: Anyone for a cardboard PC?

http://www.engadget.com/2009/02/05/recompute-a-closer-look-at-the-sustainable-cardboard-pc/

not enough usb ports

Re: Anyone for a cardboard PC?

http://www.engadget.com/2009/02/05/recompute-a-closer-look-at-the-sustainable-cardboard-pc/

  Take a close look at the hard drive mounting method.

  I ventilate all my drives with fans.  Whether they want it or not.  Sure,
notebook drives are not so stringent with heat dissipation requirements, but
if the user wants to upgrade to a huge 3.5" drive...

  I'm concerned about the cost.  The manufacture costs would be outrageous,
and the losses due to offcuts would be worse.

  But since the end user pays for that - It doesn't matter.

  And more importantly, the thing the f*cking greenies never consider - how
many bloody trees had to die to make that one case???

--
Linux Registered User # 302622
<http://counter.li.org

Re: Anyone for a cardboard PC?

http://www.engadget.com/2009/02/05/recompute-a-closer-look-at-the-sustainable-cardboard-pc /
Certain to be a buzz in geekland. But even with the huge numbers of units
involved, the amount of material in packaging computers has to be relatively
small, and likely to shrink or not grow over time. OTOH, I say full marks to
people who are devising ways to improve our ability to utilise renewables
and enable recycling, the world is going to increasingly need it.

Re: Anyone for a cardboard PC?

http://www.engadget.com/2009/02/05/recompute-a-closer-look-at-the-sustainable-cardboard-pc /

**All very well, except for a couple of things:

* Cases are mostly steel and/or aluminium. As such, they last a very long
time. One can (I know I have) moved new motherboards into old cases for many
years. A cardboard case will not have a long lifespan under real-world
conditions.
* Steel and aluminium (and many plastics) can be recycled.

Personally, I get more excited about being able to recycle PCBs, ICs and
other hard to recycle stuff. To me, it looks more like a way to cash in on
people's desire to do the right thing.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: Anyone for a cardboard PC?

http://www.engadget.com/2009/02/05/recompute-a-closer-look-at-the-sustainable-cardboard-pc /

The steel cases persist for a long time but do they last for a long time. I
keep my pc's for many years bus what's the average lifespan - 18 months??

Perhaps cases should be kept and the internals upgraded (more than they are
now at least).

Maybe it is.

Re: Anyone for a cardboard PC?

here is a suggestion for printer recycling
http://englishrussia.com/?p3D%453

might work better than the ones you get at the discount stores ;)

Re: Anyone for a cardboard PC?

On Sep 20, 12:15A0%pm, "Trevor Wilson"

Have been using the same case since 2004, had about 3 new boards
through it in that time though ;)

Discarded cases invariably end up at the metal recycling centre
anyway.

With the Gold price back above $1000 oz - it may be viable to look at
extracting gold from this
electronic waste (if the process is feasible)