Aerial CAT5/6 cable wanted

Does anyone know where I can get about 20-30 metres of aerial CAT5 or
CAT6 cable in Melbourne?  I need to connect a cable through the air
between two structures on the same property.

Thanks, Peter

Re: Aerial CAT5/6 cable wanted
Any electrical supply house should be able to supply some Cat6uv and
many have shorter lengths , however it would much better to have your
cabler supply pre-terminated fibre with an interface at each end of  the
link , You will certainly have differing earth potential with Cat6
across the buildings which is very undesirable and can result in injury
as a result of the potential . I assume you realise unless you have a
cablers ticket you risk a heavy fine for doing commercial work as described.

--

Re: Aerial CAT5/6 cable wanted

UV resistant cable jacketing isn't the problem - yes, the cable needs to
be outdoor rated, but the sticking point seems to be finding cable with
an inbuilt "hanger wire", for want of a better term.  I can find no end
of outdoor cable, but invariably when the distributors say outdoor, they
don't mean that it can be strung between structures without a separate
hanger wire.

I tried Middy's and a couple of other similar places, but nothing is
available off the shelf.  Have you actually seen aerial cat5/6 cable at
any electrical supply house?  Which/where?

These places say that they can "probably" get some in for me, but it'd
be a whole 1000ft roll, and I only need 20-30 metres for this one
application.

This application requires a metallic connection.  Differing earth
potential is not an issue.

This application does not connect to the telecommunications network in
any way.

Peter

Re: Aerial CAT5/6 cable wanted

"Pete"

** Make your own   -  why not?

    SS cable is not hard to find.

...   Phil

Re: Aerial CAT5/6 cable wanted
The point being you string the cantenary and then add the cable using
clips or zips  , inbuilt hanging wire is 2 times the price and comes
ONLY in 300 metre rolls that I have seen.
  If there is the potential to connect to the network  OR it's fixed
then you need a cabler

--

Re: Aerial CAT5/6 cable wanted

So in theory any fixed ethernet wiring these days needs to be installed by
an Austel licenced person?

Re: Aerial CAT5/6 cable wanted

Nope.

Re: Aerial CAT5/6 cable wanted
wrong as always

--

Re: Aerial CAT5/6 cable wanted
structured cable requires a cabler with suitable permits yes

--

Re: Aerial CAT5/6 cable wanted

Union driven legislation perhaps?

Given the workmanship standards of the sparkies (who according to the
signage on their vans were Austel licenced as well) that have done work for
me I'm glad I did my own network wiring!

Re: Aerial CAT5/6 cable wanted

  It came into law about 189 or so , specifically staiting if it become
intergrall with the building it's considered structured and requires a
permit
  You realise most sparkys get confused after three colours ?
  of course not all cablers have a clue but in your case the use of the
right metal cable and uv ties will last a decade or more , don't use
ordinary zips as they only last about 4 or 5 years

Re: Aerial CAT5/6 cable wanted

Care to cite the legislation that mandates a cabler's licence to install
fixed Cat 5 cabling that isn't connected to the telecommunications network?

Sylvia

[...]

for a short run like that just use outdoor wire and tie it to a galv,
catenary using a lacing wire or cable ties etc.

you could use stainless but unless you're right on the coast galv will
probably last 20 years, probably longer than the useful life of the
cat6 form-factor

--
⚂⚃ 100% natural

---