12V toaster

I had this silly idea to rewire a toaster to run on 12V. If I make the wire
runs inside 20 times shorter then it should work but obviously I can't
solder so how would I make joins? I was thinking of running the +ve at one
end of the toaster and the negative at the other and just joining the
heating wire between them (should be about the right length). Or can I just
get different resistance heating wire?

Thanks,
Michael

Re: 12V toaster

The first thing you'd better do is find out a bit about how electricity
works. if you use the same heating wire, 20 times shorter, you'll be waiting
a long time for your toast.

Re: 12V toaster

I suggest you get a clue and read my post again. I don't quite get what you
don't understand. Do you think I'm suggesting having a single wire 20 times
shorter? Or are you thinking the toaster is already designed for 12V? What I
am suggesting is that I could rewire the toaster so that each run of heating
wire is 20 times shorter (240/12 = 20) but obviously there would be more
runs of wire.

Michael

Re: 12V toaster

Thats what you wrote.

--
"Some days we don't let the line move at all. We call those weekdays"
Patty and Selma Bouvier, 1996

Re: 12V toaster

Um, no I didn't (notice the plural when I said runs). I've gotta admit it's
a bit vague what I wrote but I was assuming the reader wasn't silly.

Michael

Re: 12V toaster
finger to keyboard and composed:

My toaster is rated at 750W, 240V. That's a current draw of about 3A.
A 12V 750W toaster would draw about 60 amps.

Assuming you can provide a cable with conductors of sufficient
cross-section (eg a car battery cable), then you would need to chop up
the heating element into 20 equal lengths and wire them in parallel.

All joins would need to be crimps, otherwise the heat would probably
melt the solder.

Of course this was just a mental exercise, wasn't it? ;-)

- Franc Zabkar

Re: 12V toaster

Yep, will need some pretty reasonable wiring, I guess the cigarette lighter
socket is out of the question :-) The plus side is that a toaster usually
runs for only 2 minutes so the 80Ah battery I have should cope ok.

Cool.

That's probably going to be the hard part, or at least the part I haven't
worked out as yet.

Actually I'm fairly heavily invested in this project already, to the tune of
$9.95. :-)

Michael

Re: 12V toaster
Much more romantic to light a small fire and use a long fork,
that way the money saved could go for high school physics lessons
or to add to your homes fire insurance ;-)

cheers

says...

Regards
Mike
Re: 12V toaster

    Make a bread slice shaped envelope out of something highly
combustible out in the open like guncotton or nitrocellulose
and just insert bread and ignite the fuse and stand well back.

Re: 12V toaster

You said it, it is indeed quite a silly idea.

Get a light weight gas stove and toaster adapter and spend your efforts on a
more worthwhile project.

Dave.

Re: 12V toaster
the OP is lucky phil has not started on him

Re: 12V toaster

"F Murtz"

**  Fat chance of that ...

   ...    Phil

Re: 12V toaster
Very true , if you did it would require a clue
  and you don't
  Still smoking other blokes bit philthy ?

Re: 12V toaster

A quote from Toasters'r'us?

Re: 12V toaster

I don't doubt that for a second, Phallis.

--
"Some days we don't let the line move at all. We call those weekdays"
Patty and Selma Bouvier, 1996

Re: 12V toaster

   Phil will claim he had the idea, first.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

Re: 12V toaster

That's true but that's kind of the point. When we go away everyone's keen to
show off their gadgets. I doubt anyone is going to have a 65 amp toaster.

Yeah, that's just not the same as a popup toaster. :-)

Michael

Re: 12V toaster
you could always buy one

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/201390723/12V_toaster/showimage.html?pn=2&pt=2&total=2&cids=&tracelog=detailphoto12907&newId20%2960754#breadcrumbs

Re: 12V toaster
http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/201390723/12V_toaster/showimage.html?pn=2&pt=2&total=2&cids=&tracelog=detailphoto12907&newId20%2960754#breadcrumbs

I saw those but they look like they run off a cigarette lighter and only do
one piece of toast. They don't really show much description on their site.

Michael

Re: 12V toaster

Take a look at the original toaster and see how they make the joins.
As I vaguely remember, they were just done with a bolt on the back of
the AC inlet socket
Some type of compression fitting (high temperature) will no doubt be
needed.
Spot welding of some type MAY also be possible depending on the wire
(s) used.

You will also need very thick wire back to the power source, and the
bars taking the power to the resistance wire will need to be solid
too.

The best way to do what you want is to buy an inverter, or maybe a UPS
(if cheaper) and modify to connect to the car battery.
The time it takes do do a couple of pieces of toast shouldn't be a
problem for a car battery in good order, and no trouble if you leave
the engine running.

(I assume you will be using this "on the road", otherwise you would
use bottled gas or a generator if in a residence/camping/shack etc  ?

Another advantage of inversion is that you can run other mains
appliances while "on the road"

Site Timeline