Windows emulator

Okay here's what i want to do i want to run a Virtual Advanced (VADV) know as VBBS which is windows only software and Mystic BBS which will run on linux or mac or windows and I know you can run windows from 3.1- windows 10. I loaded windows 7 and tried that but it was so slow with dosbox is there any way to do this were speed is as good as running pi naked(stock) I have a pi 3 b+ forgot to mention this. Sam Penwright a.k.a Datalus Thxs

Reply to
Datalus

Basically no chance - the pi has to do processor emulation to run Windows and that's never going to be fast enough for more than a tour-de-force.

C:\>WIN                                     | A better way to focus the sun
Ahem A Rivet's Shot

Probably not. Dosbox on an RPi works by decoding each Intel machine instruction and address, converting the address into something the ARM chip in the RPi can recognise and then runs one or more ARM machine instructions that are equivalent to the Intel instruction. Rince, wash and repeat for every instruction executed in Windows 7 and the programs its running.

--
Martin    | martin at
Gregorie  | gregorie dot org

I'm not familiar with the app that you want to run, but you might want to try Exagear with their version of Wine to provide a more-or-less Windows environment on the 3B+. They have a three-day trial version so you can do the experiment for free. (I am not associated with Exagear, nor do I own their product, but I did try it out with a good Windows programming editor and it ran fast enough to be useful, FWIW.)

neil

Well it's none of [official, fast, stable, multicore] but ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Have you tried running it under WINE or DOSBox with Windows 3.1?

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die

On 06/14/18, Grant Taylor said the following... GT> > Okay here's what i want to do i want to run a Virtual Advanced (VADV) GT> > know as VBBS which is windows only software and Mystic BBS which will GT> > run on linux or mac or windows and I know you can run windows from 3.1- GT> > windows 10. GT> Have you tried running it under WINE or DOSBox with Windows 3.1?

No I haven't tried that dint think i would be able to get Internet! I'll check itout thxs Sam Penwrignt

Reply to
Datalus

On 06/15/18, Rob Morley said the following... RM> On Thu, 14 Jun 2018 19:21:21 +0100 RM> Andy Burns wrote: RM> > On 14/06/2018 13:44, Ahem A Rivet's Shot wrote: RM> > > the pi has to do processor emulation to run Windows RM> > Well it's none of [official, fast, stable, multicore] but ... RM> > RM> Do people actually this sort of fuzzy "click this, click this, click RM> this" video instruction helpful? It seems to me that it's just an RM> excuse for the authors to not write it up properly. Or are they RM> perhaps just looking for YouTube followers, fame and fortune? RM RM> --- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05 Really Sam Penwright

Reply to
Datalus

Do people actually this sort of fuzzy "click this, click this, click this" video instruction helpful? It seems to me that it's just an excuse for the authors to not write it up properly. Or are they perhaps just looking for YouTube followers, fame and fortune?

Reply to
Rob Morley

No, I prefer text instructions, same as I would like the BBC's news site to give the text of a story, rather than force me to watch/listen to a reporter.

It's the modern way ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

[] Seconded. I want something instructional I can save as text, and perhaps even use copy and paste! PDF is acceptable when diagrams or screenshots are included. I'm very unlikely to bother with a video; particularly one with poor audio as often is the case.
--
Cheers,
David

thirded

although i do acknowledge that a link to a video can be a useful for some things (instructions for complex assembly's) but even then I want the text & the diagrams.

--
You can't go home again, unless you set $HOME.
Reply to

Thirded. For all the reasons given above, plus its much easier to follow instructions in a page of text with a terminal window open alongside it to type or cut and paste into.

I reckon you'd need to be functionally illiterate to find a video more useful than text.

--
Martin    | martin at
Gregorie  | gregorie dot org

Dont be silly.

Ther are some things a video makes instantly clear, and some things you want to copy and paste from text.

There is no One True Way.

all women"
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I managed to figure out how to do that job just by looking at the bits and fiddling for a few minutes. Half a dozen annotated photographs would have been a much more efficient way of communicating the required information.

Reply to
Rob Morley

Pardon me, but how does a video detailing (and titled) "How to renew a three port motorised valve head. No draining down." relate to running an MSWindows emulator on a Raspberry Pi?

--
Lew Pitcher
"In Skills, We Trust"

I'd be fairly surprised if you can't get networking under WINE.

DOSBox may want an emulated dial up connection, or the NE2000 patch.

I've seen reference to the NE2000 patch, but I've not messed with it myself, yet. ;-)

You're welcome.

Good luck.

Please let us know what you find out.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die

For the most part yes - there are occasions when a well shot video of a particularly fiddly and hard to describe task (like getting the connectors back on when reassembling a phone - never again!) can be useful but watching through twenty minutes of the easy bits and 'This video is to ...' to find it is a PITA though.

Oh and I'd take a Colin Furze video of making something any day over written instructions for the things he makes - but then I have no intention whatsoever of following the instructions.

Yes.

which pretty much starts as 'the easy way' and then gets embellished with bells and whistles until it's far more work than doing it properly in the first place.

C:\>WIN                                     | A better way to focus the sun
Ahem A Rivet's Shot

Exactly. I can scan a text pretty quickly and then read the important (to me) bits as slowly and as often as I like. It's very hard if not impossible to do that with a video.

ful

Yes. But I have not yet come across a case where a good photograph or even better a drawing, where you can enhance the hard to see bits, will not serve as well or better.

--

/ \  Mail | -- No unannounced, large, binary attachments, please! --
Reply to

They will usually show *what* you need to do best, a video is sometimes helpful for *how* exactly do you prevent the pingfuckit escaping or that connection in the middle that keeps popping out just as you push the other one home or ...