Using Fedora mediawriter to create a bootable image from an ISO

Hello Martin!

Thursday March 10 2022 18:24, you wrote to All:

Wow, I did not know it was available for Raspbery pi Arm processors.

Vince

Reply to
Vincent Coen

Has anybody successfully used Fedora's mediawriter to set up a bootable image from a downloaded iso image?

Thanks to a bit of finger trouble, I need a bootable image of the XFCE spin of Fedora 35 (x86_64) for an old Lenovo r61i using an Intel i3 chip. So far I haven't done anything more to its disk (a 128GB SSD) which it can't boot from due to the aforementioned finger trouble.

I successfully downloaded an ISO containing the XFCE spin of Fedora 35 but, because the ISO is 3.5 GB, it won't fit on a writable CD. I have a USB-connected CD writer and mediawriter is bright enough to not even try writing to it.

The mediawriter program, which I'd just downloaded, claims to be able to write a bootable image to any USB-connected device, so I stuck a 4GB SD card in a USB-connected SD reader and mediawriter reported no problems when writing the ISO image to the SD card on my Lenovo T440, but the r61i only blinks the LED on the SD reader tries to boot off the buggered image on the SSD.

Since mediawriter has no help display (--help does nothing) or manpage I'm temporarily out of ideas, so any suggestions will be gratefully received.

Reply to
Martin Gregorie

On 10/03/2022 18:24, Martin Gregorie wrote: [Snip]

I fail to see anything relevant to this newsgroup, why not try somewhere more appropriate.

---druck

Reply to
druck

Look at the ng list?

Reply to
Martin Gregorie

If you want to give usenet netiquette advice (I assume this was a sarcastic version of "wrong group"), how about you a) don't top post, b) fix your goddamn time representation in the fidonet gateway, c) use a correct subject header with "Re: ", d) adhere to usenet quoting conventions without added spaces or initials.

Reply to
A. Dumas

Hello A!

Friday March 11 2022 01:16, you wrote to me:

So some one trying to teach me to suck eggs but only after I have reached 60 years in IT and over 30 in fido and others !

Vincent

Reply to
Vincent Coen

Hello A!

Friday March 11 2022 16:28, you wrote to me:

I can when I have to use a dumb ass implementation of a *nix alike when I have only used the small end o/s's of Linux, Unix, Cromix as well as the real stuff like mvs/xa, os390, zOS, DME, VME, George 3 & 4, etc. I will skip the platforms prior to your birth, that I used.

Vincent

Reply to
Vincent Coen

Actually, there is or was a version of Fedora for RPi.

Apologies for any ruffled feathers, but I posted here as well as on uk.comp.os.linux because this is the most active group.

Reply to
Martin Gregorie

You can't claim "60 years in IT" (again) AND be absolutely clueless about solving your RPi troubles.

Reply to
A. Dumas

Never to late to learn how to suck.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I would be ashamed of 30 years in Fido.

And 60 years programming the same ancient mainframe.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Don't cross post.

Reply to