sticky autocomplete in chromium url

In the last day or so autocomplete for the URL in Chromium browser has
gone completely 'round the bend.
Formerly, if I typed a partial URL it would offer as first choice
the closest match to the last URL I used. That was useful.
Now, it offers an old URL which I visit frequently, presenting the
new URL well down on the list of possibilities. This is a nuisance.
This came out of the blue, I didn't intentionally change any
settings and can't find anything relevant to restore former
behavior.
I did try to upgrade to the latest version of chromium browser,
it's now at:
Version 65.0.3325.181 (Official Build) Built on Raspbian ,
running on Raspbian 9.8 (32-bit)
to no avail.
Anybody got a fix?
Thanks for reading!