Some facinating benchmarks, and why you should buy a Pi3+ over a Pi3

I've seen that done. but just as you rightly say, it always was at the high end of the market, the opposite of what the Pi is aimed at. But why a case in the first place? Aren't we the kind of people who always want to be able to get at things?

--

/ \  Mail | -- No unannounced, large, binary attachments, please! --
Reply to

Many a Pi is used to control things, so protection from the 'world' is a must, all my Pies are in a nice box. Accidently touching GPIO or dropping something or some coffee into your Pi is to be avoided. Once I designed an interface I do not want to change it all the time. Sometimes I keep one pi on the lab table for experiments, to create new stuff, but that is a special environment. For the rest the Pies are left to do their work ...

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Ah. OK ISWYM

--
It?s easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.
Mark Twain

Alternatively, design future Pies so the flat surface of the CPU and any integral heatsink is the high point of the PCB. Then it can be bolted to a flat surface and heatsink to that surface.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

This one definitely has, as you can see from the pictures:-

This one sounds like it does:-

That's just on the first page of googling "Raspberry Pi metal case and heatsink"

---druck

Reply to
druck

The second one says is has a built-in heatsink too. They also know how to write in English... and it's half the price!

--
W J G
Reply to

The second one isn't as milled from solid aluminium though, and looks like you can't get a ribbon cable to the I/O ports.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Agreed. You can substantially reduce that thermal resistance by stirring the air inside the case, using a fan.

Dave

Reply to
David Higton

No, but the tests shown by the reviewer you linked to demonstrate it is adequate.

The ribbon cable tucks back alongside the board then out of a rebate in the plastic cover. I would say that if you think you might want this, then you need to fit one before you place the board. Indeed, I'd be inclined to fit a short female/female jumper lead anyway.

--
W J G
Reply to

That's the thing. I used the original Pi as a media player back in 2012 but while the GPU could easily decode the video, the CPU was a little too slow to even run the GUI of XBMC back then. Still, it was OK but the SD card got corrupted after a while.

Recently, for reasons I don't really understand, I bought a dark side router. So of course there's some really weird stuff and missing features so I put a loaner Raspberry Pi 3 B on my home network to do the very simple, basic stuff the router should do but doesn't. Like dyndns.

Reply to
Anssi Saari

On Fri, 07 Sep 2018 09:07:25 GMT, Jan Panteltje declaimed the following:

Late idea but... Since the 3B+ SoC has a metal cover (with vent hole in the corner), one has to wonder how much of that "even heat" is caused by the metal cover being heated by entrapped air, and underneath could still be a hot-spot.

Dennis Lee Bieber

I think you can consider that one to be covered even without looking into it in any detail. If you are investing $1billion+ in a semiconductor fab and a minimum of six figures on each new product line you make sure you have the appropriate knowledge and expertise on board. They'll have looked into this to the nth detail and in terms that you and I simply wouldn't understand. This is especially true when, as here, they are spending extra expressly for enhanced cooling abilities.

--
Andrew Smallshaw
andrews@sdf.org