does anyone write a built-in kernel GUI in linux

Process switch between X server and X client might cost much when
drawing, especially in embedded system.
I am writing a built-in kernel GUI in linux based on the kdrive
Xfree86-4.5.0 version(primaryly using their drawing routines). I intend
to apply serveral sys call in kernel, and X lib call them to draw on
screen, thus I need not to rewrite X clients.
I have finished card, screen initialization part and it seems not
difficult as I thought.
Now, I am wondering why other one did not do it, afraid of bigger
kernel? or other performance will reduce? is there any one have thought
such problems and can give me reasons? I will be appreciated for any
discuss on this topic.

Re: does anyone write a built-in kernel GUI in linux

The "pros" of including the graphics/GUI portions of an operating
system are, as you pointed correctly, better performance.

Every other aspect I can think of is a "con": larger kernel, more
difficult to update/replace the GUI functionality, kernel reliability
depending on GUI, or even less performance, if the GUI software
interferes with the kernel scheduling mechanism.

For you information, the GUI was an external layer in the first few
versions of the Windows NT kernel. It was moved into the kernel around
version 4 (to improve performance) and remained there for later
versions of Windows 2000 and XP. Now that computers are much faster,
and some of the functionality is implemented in hardware, they are
doing the right thing and taking it out again.

See: http://www.techworld.com/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID50%02

I believe in the Beos system the GUI is part of the kernel also. (not
sure)  Same goes for the hobby projects Atheos/Syllable

Re: does anyone write a built-in kernel GUI in linux

http://fbui.org /

Re: does anyone write a built-in kernel GUI in linux
 >> Process switch between X server and X client might cost much when
 >> drawing, especially in embedded system.
 >> I am writing a built-in kernel GUI in linux based on the kdrive
 >> Xfree86-4.5.0 version(primaryly using their drawing routines). I intend
 >> to apply serveral sys call in kernel, and X lib call them to draw on
 >> screen, thus I need not to rewrite X clients.
 >> I have finished card, screen initialization part and it seems not
 >> difficult as I thought.
 >> Now, I am wondering why other one did not do it, afraid of bigger
 >> kernel? or other performance will reduce? is there any one have thought
 >> such problems and can give me reasons? I will be appreciated for any
 >> discuss on this topic.
 >>
 >
 > http://fbui.org /

so why not this ;-)
http://www.microwindows.org /

HTH
--
Marco Cavallini
Koan s.a.s. - Bergamo - ITALIA

Microwindows is not in-kernel.  It's a user-space app.

The OP wanted in-kernel; the only one I know of is fbui.

I think it's nuts to do that but I can see the attraction.  If we were
developing an app from scratch, I might be tempted to use his stuff.  In
fact, I looked at it seriously when we started our latest project.

Microwindows works quite well, but it's a good big bigger than fbui.  I
looked at it as well, but then ended up with Qt/E...  Really big.  :-(

--Yan

Re: does anyone write a built-in kernel GUI in linux
Hi,

Just out of curiousity:

Was it performance or features which let you finally use Qt/E... ?

bye

Re: does anyone write a built-in kernel GUI in linux

We needed a javascript capable opensource browser.... konqueror embedded
was the only one that fit those requirements, and it runs on top of Qt/e...

I'n not a big fan of Qt; it's bloated, hard to pare down, and c++
doesn't help....  But none of the other browsers had the capability we
needed.

--Yan

Site Timeline