Re: NVIDIA is gearing up to end 32-bit OS support

> > Full story: > > > > > > > > If you haven't upgraded to a 64-bit operating system, you might > > want to soon. > > This has no relevance to comp.sys.raspberrypi, please remove from any > follow ups. >

I'd guess it was an attempted troll, but provoked only reasonable (albeit somewhat odd*) discussion.

  • Win98 anyone?
Reply to
Rob Morley

Running Win98SE in Raspberry-Pi? Really an interesting idea... :)

-- @~@ Remain silent! Drink, Blink, Stretch! Live long and prosper!! / v \ Simplicity is Beauty! /( _ )\ May the Force and farces be with you! ^ ^ (x86_64 Ubuntu 9.10) Linux 2.6.39.3 ???! ???! ???! ???! ???! ???! ????? (CSSA):

Mr. Man-wai Chang

Pull his other leg, Axel - maybe it'll come off too.

I still write freestanding executables for Windows. But I'm probably a dinosaur.

--
/~\  cgibbs@kltpzyxm.invalid (Charlie Gibbs)
\ /  I'm really at ac.dekanfrus if you read it the right way.

Are you able to store user settings in the program folder on a recent Windows?

--

/ \  Mail | -- No unannounced, large, binary attachments, please! --
Reply to

Dunno. I generally look for a CSV file called .cfg in the current directory (where the executable lives), and allow command-line parameters to override it.

But, as I said, I might be a dinosaur.

--
/~\  cgibbs@kltpzyxm.invalid (Charlie Gibbs)
\ /  I'm really at ac.dekanfrus if you read it the right way.
 X   Top-posted messages will probably be ignored.  See RFC1855.
/ \  HTML will DEFINITELY be ignored.  Join the ASCII ribbon campaign!
Reply to
Charlie Gibbs

How very single user of you.

Josef Stalin
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

If he wants per-user config he could use -.cfg or config/default config/fred ... or have multiple user configs in the same file or have per-user installs with the program hard linked in all of them (or just copied given that disc space is plentiful these days). All this assuming that you can write to the program directory.

C:\>WIN                                     | A better way to focus the sun
Ahem A Rivet's Shot

Yes. Multiuser and terminals are a thing of the sixties. From the late seventies onwards we have such a thing as a "personal" computer. Yes, I am aware that there are good reasons for several different roles of that one user, like safe and adminstrator, but why should I by forced to set up everything several times just for it to be the same?

Yes, there are computers in libraries and such, but those are the exception, not the rule and on top of that most of those are set up

*not* to store user settings, so from the computer's point of view it's single user just the same.
--

/ \  Mail | -- No unannounced, large, binary attachments, please! --
Reply to
Axel Berger

You shouldn't of course, that's why applications on sane systems (like Raspbian) have system wide defaults with per-user overrides (TBH I have no idea about Windows I haven't used it in years, hopefully it also supports this approach).

Hmm - until fairly recently we had a family computer with accounts for everyone in the family, it fell into disuse so the last time it broke I didn't fix it.