Raspberry Pi Model A+ out now

Another article.

Eben Upton talks about the new Raspberry Pi Model A+.

Dave Farrance

the extra GPIO & lower power looks useful, pity they did not take the opportunity to increase the ram as well.

--
As crazy as hauling timber into the woods.
		-- Quintus Horatius Flaccus (Horace)

Which would have increased the cost...

I don't think it needs it - it's aimed at little hobby type projects, robots, "wearable", sending up on a baloon, etc. not something that needs a GUI and associated extra stuff, so you can develop, test, etc. on a B then run on the A.

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Henderson

You may be correct I forgot to give consideration to headless running (which is exactly how my 256k model B is running) but how much of a cost increase would the extra ram involve? especially as it would mean that only one model or ram chip needed to be stocked

--
Finally, Zippy drives his 1958 RAMBLER METROPOLITAN into the faculty
dining room.

I do most of my development on an early B which only has 256MB too, and I've never run out of memory. Of course, it depends what you are doing.

OP, what are you doing that's running you out of memory?

--
Andrew Gabriel
Andrew Gabriel

Nothing I just though that whilst releasing an "improved" model A+ increasing the ram would have been nice and made it even more atractive

--
That money talks,
I'll not deny,

It has been mentioned several times that the used processor and memory architecture does not allow the memory to be increased.

There are other boards similar to the Raspberry Pi, and with different processor chips, that do have more memory and other features.

Reply to
Rob

I am talking about expanding the model a+ with 256k to 512K a modification that has already taken place on the B rev 2 & B+ so yes it is possible.

it is increasing he ram beyond 512k on any model that is not possible

--
Consultant, n.:
	An ordinary man a long way from home.

Presumably not if you're looking to reduce the power requirement.

Reply to
Rob Morley

A few years ago the people I work for replaced a factory automation system that had a full size computer and 2 PLCs, with a mini embedded computer and a couple of SOCs. This had more capability that the original. The model A+ could easily replace all of this and have plenty of spare capacity, requiring only simple I/O drivers.

With automation/robotics and the like, memory is very seldom an issue. The A+ gives you enough to positively swim, in!

--
W J G
Reply to

I was surprised that the first complaint about what was done wrong or what wasn't done right was the third comment and not the first.

Reply to
mm0fmf

Lol, I don't think they need to worry about "stocking" two RAM chips when they are making these things on a continuous basis. At volumes of some million a year it's just not an issue.

Even if the larger RAM chip costs just $0.50 more it would possibly push the product costs up so they couldn't sell it for $20 which I find amazing. $20!

--

Rick
Reply to

it was not a complaint but an observation. since then the potential users of the A+ have informed me they do not think extra RAM is needed. I which case I hope this model has more success than its predecessor, it certainly has potential as a production board.

--
You will gain money by an illegal action.
Reply to

You talkin raspberry pi or apple ][ here? :-)

Reply to
colonel_hack

Except they're not... The foundation is still what is was.

Raspberry Pi Holdings Ltd on the other hand is a commercial company with an aim to sell Pi stuff... and feed that back into the foundation AIUI.

And at the very first Pi Jam in Cambridge over 2 years ago, Even stated that he had no issues with people using the Pi in commercial situations. A Pi sale is a Pi sale at the end of the day and for everyone sold, a little bit of money goes into the foundation, so they still win overall.

And I'm OK with that.

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Henderson

ISTM that if people are using R-Pi for "real" applications then the schoolkids who learn to hack it are gaining a skill-set that's directly applicable to a future career, so win-win (and no Win*). :-)

Reply to
Rob Morley