Raspberry Pi 1Tbyte hard drive kit

The power-input arm of the four-way cable is short but it has a female connection and the power brick comes with a cable which is about 2.5 feet (75 cm) long.

James

Reply to
James Harris

I didn't realize the power connector was female. Thanks.

Still a bit odd, since the power brick has a female connector as well. The cable for the brick ends in a micro connector. Is the female connector a micro? The illustrations don't seem to show it well and I've not seen a female microUSB cable end before. I guess there's nothing to prevent that.

--

Rick
Reply to

IIRC you are in the US and will have a different power brick to me but the one I got has as normal USB (rectangular) socket and there is a cable which goes from there to a regular micro USB male connector (which plugs into the micro USB female connector on the 4-way cable).

In other words, the only unusual element is the 4-way cable. All the other parts look to be standard and easily replaceable.

James

Reply to
James Harris

the-raspberry-pi.html

I've ordered one as well. I'm looking forward to checking usb3 speeds with my main desktop.

Reply to
ray carter

The 4 way cable is what I'm asking about. The one cable end they don't show in any detail is the female USB. I have to assume it is a female

*micro* USB connector. If it is, then great, it all works fine. I've just not seen that particular type of connector before, so I assumed it was the larger USB type. I have since googled and found a number of cables with micro female connectors, so I guess that is what it has. I was not able to find a better picture of the 4 way cable when I searched on that to verify. No big deal, I just didn't see how it would work out is all. Now I get it.
--

Rick
Reply to

Out of sheer curiosity: does the power inlet end of the 4-way cable look easy to mount in the wall of an RPi+disk enclosure? If so, that has to be a really nice feature.

--
martin@   | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK

I did say that the power lead "plugs into the micro USB female connector on the 4-way cable". I added more because I wasn't 100% sure what you were asking and tried to cover all the bases.

The gender of USB cables seems to conflict with what we used for telecoms equipment. For the latter the gender of the connector depended on the innermost element. I cannot take the cable apart here to look at it without interrupting the disk test but from pictures online the micro USB *female* seems to have an innermost element which looks male, but it is recessed, if that makes a difference.

James

Reply to
James Harris

Someone else may know what enclosure you are referring to, if you mean a specific type, but to give a general answer the power-inlet end is just a cable, labelled 5 on the 4-way cable in

You could probably epoxy it to a case, perhaps indirectly.

Were you thinking of a single enclosure for Pi and disk? That would be good if the Pi's ports were accessible.

James

Reply to
James Harris

Yes, I said I get it. I was simply explaining why I was confused up to that point. Thanks for the explanation.

In the USB connectors there are no mail or female pins. The pins slide across each other. So I guess they use the next level up which is the housing and does have clear male/female parts... I think. I just looked at male USB micro laying here and I see the "female" connector has a tongue that slides into the "male" connector. I think this is getting too far into the anatomy department. I'll just live with the current terminology without questioning it further.

--

Rick
Reply to

Yes, I see what you mean. Cut neat hole, glue it in., Though it would better, and probably equally possible, to make a sort of box out of 0.4mm epoxy board that socket 5 is a push-fit in. Gluing a nut to the top of the 'box' to take an M3 nylon screw would let you screw it down to anchor the socket against the forces needed to push a plug in and remove it.

Yes, exactly so. There probably aren't any custom cases for the RPi and disk, but some packaging can be made into a nice enclosure. I have a nice octagonal clear plastic box (110mm across, 70mm deep) that used to contain Mozartkugeln. This winter I intend to mount my RPi in it with the aid of a bit of 0.8mm epoxy board and a few nylon screws. You just need to keep eyes open for suitable boxes, or of course you can knock one together from epoxyboard and/or Perspex.

--
martin@   | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK

For those interested the usa site has the pi at the price below at discount for 51.95 from the orig price of 79.99 and the code below quoted does NOT work in that they already have the 35% off in that price without the code

however

got an email from buying 1 a week or so ago and they Western Digital (WD on email) include a code for 20% off the price of a WD item from their store

so I tried it at the 51.95 price and it DID WORK and dropped the price down from 51.95 to 41.59 usd (shipping ground is free) and you prob pay tax in the states on your sales tax for your state

did it via paypal and credit card option the other way hung the last time i tried it so paypal and credit card is the same thing so if you have issues

anyway got a 2nd one for 41.59 just because i have a 2nd pi and it at that price seemed a good deal

anyway for those who may or may not get this email from them on the first order got this as email spam and it worked ..if you got zip from your previous WD order contact them as well in email should also work

anyway for those into impulse buying of probably a 2nd 1 TB Pi WD Drive Kit ..this is the way to go imho :)

Brad

mrbrad

I'm holding out for the 3 TB drive. I have a 2 TB data base I would like to host.

--

Rick
Reply to

depending on the price of your 3 TB drive from WD ...it is 20% off anything if I remember right you may want to get the 1tb drive 1st at the above 41.59 if by some chance it makes sense if you can get the 20% off the 3 TB stuff and/or other?

here is the quote from the plug of the 20% off email I got from WD products after buying the 1 TB at the 51.95 price discount etc

anyway probably the 20% off is not that big a deal..but on top of the original 35% off which seems to be the new price 51.95 and this 20% off other products....it is possible you'd also get a code too boot like I did for that 20% off after you did the 1st deal and got the wd 1tb hd at 51.95...

whatever just saying might be worth looking into ...i guess it may not make that much difference except for a discount on a 2nd wd 1tb unit but hey you can never have enough toys nor coupons :)

mrbrad