Oops, I blundered Padre, the Perl Integrated Development Envronment installation.

Now starting phase II of the purchased purpose of my RPi B+, having appreciated IDLE for learning Python, made easier by Xming on a Vista laptop and how well that worked headless, I installed the Padre IDE (integrated development environment) for developing (learning actually) Perl.

I didn't realize that after starting a popup would ask for the directory where the Perl language is and opened another window on top of it, but never was able to tell Padre where Perl was - then locked it up pretty tight, and was able to sudo reboot from the Putty login on the Vista laptop.

Question: where in Padre configuration do I tell it Perl language location (it seems to be running in Perl natively already) and what do I enter in that field? /usr/bin or /usr/bin/perl or /usr/bin/perl5.14.2 ?

OR would it just be easier to just dump the current installation into the bit bucket and re-install?

I am able to use Padre in an Xwindow from the Laptop and also execute the programs it saves from the shell terminal window command line, but it sure would be more convenient to just press F5 to run the script.

Thanks in advance, --(o=8> wiz.

--
  All ladders in the Temple of the Forbidden Eye have thirteen steps.
There are thirteen steps to the gallows, firing squad or any execution.

From the command line, run 'which perl' and use its reply. On this laptop the answer was /usr/bin/perl, so the directory containing perl is

/usr/bin

--
martin@   | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK

do I

?

laptop

Halfway there - the command line 'which perl' resulted: usr/bin/perl that's in my standard Debian/Wheezy on my RPi B+ Now do I paste that result into Tools/Preferences/Advanced/[where? Am I close?] or Tools/Preferences/Language - Perl (the value I previously guessed has been usr/bin/perl.)

So, perhaps I'm misinterpreting the problem - When executing perl script from a command line STDOUT is the console and

print statements appear but scripts with print don't show an input popup or printed lines when F5/executed from within Padre.

I'm guessing Perl is actually being executed because "variable already defined" logic errors appear in the 'output view/output' bottom window. Am I missing a window view or option selection?

I had been assuming I didn't see output because Perl wasn't engaging. I re-installed Padre with identical results. Do I have a redirect problem? If so where to fix?

--
  All ladders in the Temple of the Forbidden Eye have thirteen steps.
There are thirteen steps to the gallows, firing squad or any execution.
 The first step is denial...                           Don't be
bamboozled:
       Secrets of the Temple of the Forbidden Eye revealed!
          Indiana Jones? Discovers The Jewel of Power!
         visit ?(o=8> http://disneywizard.com/
Reply to
DisneyWizard the Fantasmic!

Good.

Pass - I've never previously heard of Padre, let alone used it. Read its documentation, at least that's what I'd do.

Sounds likely. Many of these IDEs are written in the language they built programs in, so if Padre is one of them, the mere fact that it runs tells you that it knows where to find Perl.

--
martin@   | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK