My Raspberry Pi3 is dead or dying.

On Tue, 23 Jan 2018 16:43:21 +0000, RobH declaimed the following:

If the sequence (below) always reports 0, then it would be safe to presume that the GPIO circuitry is blown (or there is confusion as to which pin is really being tested). I'm using the -1 option to specify the physical header pin

gpio -1 mode 11 in #header 11 jumpered to GND (header pin 9, as I recall, is a ground) gpio -1 read 11 #should be 0 #now jumper header 11 to 3.3V (header pin 1 or header pin 17) gpio -1 read 11 #should be 1 -- if it is still 0, dead GPIO circuit

#with nothing connected to header pin 11 gpio -1 mode 11 out gpio -1 write 11 0 gpio -1 read 11 #should be 0 gpio -1 write 11 1 gpio -1 read 11 #should be 1, if this is 0 a REALLY dead GPIO, as the internal latches can't hold an output value.

Dennis Lee Bieber

When I do

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ gpio -1 mode 11 in pi@raspberrypi:~ $ gpio -1 read 11

0 pi@raspberrypi:~ $ gpio -1 read 11 Jumper header to 3.3v 0 gpio -1 read 11 0

Now nothing connected to the gpio pins

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ gpio -1 mode 11 out pi@raspberrypi:~ $ gpio -1 write 11 0 pi@raspberrypi:~ $ gpio read 11

1
Reply to
RobH

On Tue, 23 Jan 2018 19:09:51 +0000, RobH declaimed the following:

Uhm -- the last command is missing the -1 option, which means you read WiringPi GPIO 11, header pin 26, chip 7. If I understand the chart, that is something like Clock Enable...

The first sequence would indicate that the chip GPIO buffer/interface to the board is dead... You didn't finish the second sequence (mode out, write 0, read, write 1, read -- don't miss the -1 so the GPIO number is correct for all.

I did hook mine to a breadboard (3.3V, GND, and header 11 moved between the two) to confirm the first sequence functioned as expected. At the moment, I'm configuring the second SD card with newest NOOBS so unit will be unavailable for some time (someday I need to update my BeagleBone Black SD cards [first], and then flash the eMMC)

Dennis Lee Bieber

In the V column for the gpio17 pin it is 0

Reply to
RobH

I have just redone all of the commands again now:

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ gpio -1 mode 11 out pi@raspberrypi:~ $ gpio -1 write 11 0 pi@raspberrypi:~ $ gpio read 11 < I intentionally left out -1

1 pi@raspberrypi:~ $ gpio -1 read 11 0 pi@raspberrypi:~ $ gpio read 11 1 pi@raspberrypi:~ $ gpio -1 mode 11 out pi@raspberrypi:~ $ gpio -1 write 11 0 pi@raspberrypi:~ $ gpio -1 read 11 0 pi@raspberrypi:~ $ gpio -1 write 11 1 pi@raspberrypi:~ $ gpio -1 read 11 0 pi@raspberrypi:~ $
Reply to
RobH

On Tue, 23 Jan 2018 20:50:46 +0000, RobH declaimed the following:

At this point I decree that chip GPIO to be totally gone... As a working system shows:

pi@raspberrypi:~$ gpio -1 mode 11 out pi@raspberrypi:~$ gpio -1 read 11

0 pi@raspberrypi:~$ gpio -1 write 11 1 pi@raspberrypi:~$ gpio -1 read 11 1 pi@raspberrypi:~$

Time to check the other GPIO pins for internal functioning. Looking at the result of readall, those would be physical/header pins 7, 13, 15, 29,

31, 33, 35, 37, 12, 16, 18, 22, 32, 36, 38, 40. Find out if any GPIO are working for output. I don't know the internals of the SoC, but could see a case where all GPIOs could be killed by one overload, without killing the rest of the SoC.

I don't do BASH shell scripts, or I'd provide one that encapsulates the above 5 commands with a parameter for the pin number to speed up the testing. In lieu, guess it would be [^] (cursor up) to recall each command for editing the pin number (which should be faster than retyping each from scratch).

Dennis Lee Bieber

Something like

#!/bin/bash # test Raspberry Pi gpio pins for pin in 7 13 15 29 31 33 35 37 12 16 18 22 32 36 38 40 do gpio -1 mode $pin out gpio -1 read $pin gpio -1 write $pin 1 gpio -1 read $pin done

save as testpins.bash and then chmod +x testpins.bash ./testpins.bash

Reply to
Dennis

I have checked all the pins which you listed for me with

gpio -1 mode pin no. out gpio -1 read pin no. gpio -1 write pin no. 0 gpio -1 read pin no. gpio -1 write pin no. 1 gpio -1 read pin no.

From the list there are just 6 pins which read 1, and where the voltages were 3.23 - 3.27 volts

Those pins are Physical pin no.

13 29 33 37 22 32

Now I am using pin no.32 which gives 3.24V, and the led lights up when set to (GPIO.HIGH), and goes off when set to (GPIO.LOW).

Reply to
RobH

On Wed, 24 Jan 2018 11:39:35 +0000, RobH declaimed the following:

That is an intriguing set... Besides none of them being adjacent on the header, the corresponding chip GPIO numbers are also scattered about -- which kills my hypothesis that a "block" of GPIOs might have been damaged en-mas. But worse, a read of the BCM2835 Peripherals manual implies all the exposed GPIOs are from one chip block, so even a "dead block" concept is void.

Figuring out if the "alternate functions" for some of the dead pins are usable is beyond discussion... Header pin 11/GPIO17, for example, has alternate functions: SD9 (secondary memory data bus), UART0 RTS, SPI1 Chip Select 1, and UART1 RTS.

Other than that -- it may be time to consider a second RPi... (Something I should do myself -- I have spares for BBB, TIVA C [all three models], Arduino, ancient over-priced BASIC Stamps, and even Propeller boards).

Dennis Lee Bieber

Actually I do have another pi3 but it is being used on another project, in that it streams music from my PC to a speaker in another part of the house. I was going to swap the sd cards over on them to use.

Reply to
RobH