enabeling IR reception (lirc?) on stretch - documentation sought

Hello all,

I would like to use an IR remote control to emulate some keypresses (gouverning a webbrowser showing YouTube leanback content :-) ), and seem to have read that rapberian stretch already supports that outof the box (with presumably only a few lines in the right configuration files needed).

The problem is that I can't seem to find usable info about what needs to be configured.

I've already googled quite a number of documents about how to install LIRC and which configuration files need to be edited with what, but a) most of them seem to be either outdated often do not even name the OS version its aimed at), or b) start with installing LIRC and editing a *lot* of configuration files, even putting the same info (in- and output pins) into two different files, and c) no information about which programs are involved and which of the configuration changes is aimed at each of them.

In short, most of them are of the "don't think, just do" variant.

Also, the second of the above makes me think that most of the found docs are talking about two seperate configurations - one of the build-in IR control (linux input layer), and one for the to-be-installed LIRC. Ref:

tl;dr: Does anyone know of documents which describe how to enable IR remote control on rapberian stretch, which preferrable also explains what/which programs the configuration changes pertain to ?

Regards, Rudy Wieser

Reply to
R.Wieser