My Drum Machine is Dead

I have a Boss Dr Rhythm drum machine that is completely dead. It won't light up with batteries or AC/DC converter. I stored it for several years with the batteries in it. I seem to recall someone somewhere saying this was bad for devices because the batteries leach/leak into the circuits or something. Does anyone have any advice on how to approach fixing it or what the problem might be. I am obviously a novice. Thanks much.

Reply to
Sunflower

Hi,

Open the battey compartment, if the entire compartment has been eaten and corroded by the battery acid from leaking batteries you MAY be able to fix it.

If the compartment has not been eaten up by battery acid the problem lies elsewhere.

Please reply back on what condition the battery compartment is.

-Landon

Reply to
Landon

No. The compartment appears to be intact. No acid damage that I can see.

Reply to
Sunflower

Well, since it is dead and you really have nothing to loose, You might as well open it up and have a look inside. If you are lucky you might find something obvious like a wire broke of or some other physical damage or even a blown fuse.

Other than that it would be difficult at best to try and trouble shoot over a news group. Have you contacted Boss?

Any tech with a volt meter should be able to check the basics but if it has componant problems you might be out of luck..

Pat Ziegler

Pat Ziegler

You haven't used it for several years ? Have you perhaps forgotten how to work it ? It has been known...

Reply to
Alex Bird

Since the battery compartment is intact and hasn't been attacked by the battery acid you shouldn't have any physical damage to deal with.

As was already suggested by someone else go ahead and open the case, follow the wires from the batteries and the jack that you plug the DC adapter into to where ever they go, both sets of wires are going to have something in common that is not letting the voltage though, it could quite simply just be the fuse.

Also do what I do and look for something obvious, a part that exploded and sent schrapnel all over the place, a burnt, cracked, or bulging part, or something that glows or has goo coming out of it right in the middle of the circuit board.

You may also have a voltage regulator that decided to die and/or put out to low of voltage, or at some point the drum machine was accidently dropped and made a little crack in the circuit board that is keeping the voltage from getting through.

Good luck, get back to us on what you find.

Reply to
Landon

Great, now get some real drums! Sorry, always hated those machines!

JimD - Real Drummer!

years

Reply to
Jim Douglas

At least drum machines tend not to have alcohol problems. Unless you spill some on them.

Gareth.

Reply to
Gareth Magennis