Missing gcc man pages (raspbian)

My raspberry pi installation of linux is missing the gcc manual pages:

$ man gcc No manual entry for gcc See 'man 7 undocumented' for help when manual pages are not available.

I think I am on Raspbian but I couldn't tell you what version. (Is there a way to find out?) Command uname -a gives

Linux pi2 3.18.7-v7+ #755 SMP PREEMPT Thu Feb 12 17:20:48 GMT 2015 armv7l GNU/Linux

I have reinstalled gcc but that didn't help. I tried to install gcc-doc and got the following.

$ sudo apt-get install gcc-doc Reading package lists... Done Building dependency tree Reading state information... Done Package gcc-doc is not available, but is referred to by another package. This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or is only available from another source

So, is there a way to install the manual pages for gcc? Anyone else had this problem?

James

Reply to
James Harris

sudo apt-get install gcc-4.6-doc

Assuming you're running gcc version 4.6 (use gcc -v to check)

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Henderson

gcc-doc and got the following.

package.

had this problem?

Thanks. That works.

Not that it's going to make a lot of difference in this case but that shouldn't be necessary, should it? Isn't the idea that there should be a gcc-doc pseudo package which points to the right version of the doc package and gets updated as each new version of gcc becomes current?

Is gcc-doc simply missing from Raspbian? Should this have a bug report?

James

Reply to
James Harris

On Thu, 18 Jun 2015 10:50:06 +0100, James Harris wrote in :

What I tend to do is

$ apt-cache pkgnames >pkglst (or the equivalent for yum systems)

from time to time, then I can 'grep -i' in pkglst for relevant strings to help find something I need.

--
Ivan Reid, School of Engineering & Design, _____________  CMS Collaboration,
Brunel University.    Ivan.Reid@[brunel.ac.uk|cern.ch]    Room 40-1-B12, CERN

,,,

FWIW I had a discussion in two threads on the raspberrypi.org forum for raspbian:

Following advice there I have posted a bug report to

It looks as though such bug reports might not get picked up but we'll see.

James

Reply to
James Harris

The Raspbian guys (Peter especially) do keep an eye on the forums and will probably reply fairly shortly.

To me, it just looks like an oversight in missing that package and, as it is just a meta-package with no actual programs involved, it ought to be trivial to add to the Raspbian repos. It doesn't even need to be rebuilt as the Debian version should work without any changes.

Reply to
Dom