Huawei E3372h-153 USB 4G stick working on Rpi4

Huawei E3372h-153 USB 4G stick working on Rpi4
Just want to report I have the Huawei E3372h-153 USB 4G stick working
on my RPI4 running Buster without any modifications to the stick.
I bought this stick to have backup for internet as in these times
online seems to be the only way to do anything..
I normally have an older Huawei 3372 model in an old raspi1 used as router.
it needs usb_modeswitch and ppp to connect to the internet.
The new stick E3372h-153 seems to have some Linux build in
and appears when running ifconfig as
enx0c5b8f279a64: flags=4163 mtu 1500
inet 192.168.8.100 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast 192.168.8.255
inet6 fe80::4b0:4fe1:bfbe:c9c8 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x20
ether 0c:5b:8f:27:9a:64 txqueuelen 1000 (Ethernet)
RX packets 4 bytes 960 (960.0 B)
RX errors 0 dropped 0 overruns 0 frame 0
TX packets 28 bytes 4197 (4.0 KiB)
TX errors 0 dropped 0 overruns 0 carrier 0 collisions 0
so is assigned IP address 192.168.8.100 here, and at the same time
that IP is added to the routing table
192.168.8.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.0 U 288 0 0 enx0c5b8f279a64
The stick now presents a web interface on 192.168.8.1
So point your browser to 192.168.8.1
there you can specify the PIN code
and start/stop the internet connection, some more options.
It is not so much suited for router, but I could surf the web on my P4 with it.
Also you can add IP addresses to this a bit strange (my LAN is on 192.168.198.XXX) for example
raspi95: ~ # ip addr add 192.168.8.1 dev enx0c5b8f279a64
I did an
ifconfig eth0 down
before testing internet access, dhcpd assigned 192.168.178.95 to that,, not sure that was needed.
All done on the Pi 4 directly, not via ssh.
Normal SIM card is a KPN internet only 10GB/month.
All this as opposed to wild stories on the web about endless failed attempts
re-flashing being needed for that Huawei model,
So very good, basically plug and play in the Pi4 and a nice web interface.
The BAD part is that the piece of paper that came with the stick mumbles
about auto-updates of the stick's firmware, :-(
Will have to see if I can switch that off,
it also babbles that by using it you agree to auto-updates...
So maybe I should burn it anyways ;-),
but as emergency net access for now it is OK and simple.
Maybe auto-update can be switched off in that browser interface under security,
have not looked yet,
Anyways it works in spite of all the horror stories.
FYI

Reply to
Jan Panteltje
Sounds like you're running in "hilink" mode where the dongle acts like an ethernet router over USB, fine for normal use, but if you want inbound access, or another router to control the connection, that might be where people prefer to use "stick" mode where it acts like a serial modem over USB.
Admittedly the firmware process to do the conversion can be a bit fraught (assuming it's similar to the older E3372 dongles).
Reply to
Andy Burns
I specifically avoid the ethernet router ones, for efficiency and security. I also don't trust the Chinese ones not to be spying on me. For 4G I couldn't find any current offerings that suited me and instead bought some second hand USB modems from Ebay, made by Sierra Wireless before they were bought out.
I had hopes to do that to an E3351 years ago, but never found a serial port on the circuit board, and didn't find a way to hijack the upgrade process.
--