How do I shut down Raspbian with the keyboard but no monitor?

If I've got Raspbian running with a keyboard but no monitor, how do I shut it down with that keyboard?

Solutions for shutting down from either the unlogged-in terminal or the desktop (or preferably both) would be appreciated.

Reply to
Ed Davies

From the terminal mode: press Ctrl-Alt-Del on the keyboard.

This is configured in /etc/inittab:

# What to do when CTRL-ALT-DEL is pressed. ca:12345:ctrlaltdel:/sbin/shutdown -t1 -a -r now

From the desktop: it depends on what desktop software.

Reply to
Rob

Sorry, I don't understand the instructions. What does the first bit mean for example? ca:12345? ca? Do you mean type a colon or is that just your indication of a separator? What does that do with no app running?

The ctrl-alt-del brings up the task manager and I can see that the text gets typed in at the bottom right, but disappears after a second or so. I can't type that stuff in _with_ a monitor.

Reply to
Ed Davies

Never mind. Got it. I got confused first trying your instructions at the terminal, then when that didn't work at the desktop. I must've mistyped the first time round. Thanks.

Reply to
Ed Davies

You do not need to do anything with those lines except verify that indeed they are there in /etc/inittab.

When you hit ctrl-alt-del the system will run /sbin/shutdown -t1 -a -r now

When you want to know how that works and what else you can do, type: man inittab

Reply to
Rob

I'll add for the benefit of anybody as confused as I was:

edit /etc/innitab and find this line:

ca:12345:ctrlaltdel:/sbin/shutdown -t1 -a -r now

then change the -r to -h

then just do ctrl-alt-del in terminal mode (the change isn't effective until it's rebooted once). It now shuts down instead of rebooting.

I'm not sure what -a or -t1 does since that's not in man shutdown or shutdown --help.

Reply to
Ed Davies

-a means it will consult /etc/shutdown.allow if present, to see who is allowed to shutdown.

-t1 is related to timing during the shutdown.

You are right, when you want it to remain off after Ctrl-Alt-Del you can use -h instead of -r, else it will reboot. (normally I just pull the power when it wants to reboot, at least then you have done a clean shutdown)

Reply to
Rob

Changes to /etc/inittab become effective immediately if you type init q (as root or using sudo)

Reply to
Dom

Yes, I can just recycle the power for reboot, but it would be nice to have hotkeys for shutdown _and_ reboot. Google only seems to turn up people asking the same question but no solution:

Ed Davies

one quick option would be to change the program run to a simple script that waits for another key-press & then calls the correct variant. I may experiment with this later if i get the time.

another option is the SysRq key which has various options if enabled correctly (google linux SysRq)

--
Bad men live that they may eat and drink, whereas good men eat and drink
that they may live.

Sounds good. Grabbing the keyboard is the hard bit I guess.

Reply to
Ed Davies

Op Sun, 19 Oct 2014 09:22:56 +0000 (UTC) schreef Ed Davies:

info shutdown describes what -a and -t1 do.

--
Coos

CHForth, 16 bit DOS applications
http://home.hccnet.nl/j.j.haak/forth.html
Reply to
Coos Haak

to be honest i think the SYSRq key is what you want

it enables you to flush buffers, shut down or kill all processes, halt or reboot the system & it is built in at the kernel level.

 dpkg has bugs?  no way!
Reply to
alister

Another option is to have something that runs halt or shutdown when it sees one of the GPIO pins change state. I have an app which runs on the Pi and it using the GPIO pins anyway, without any keyboard or display. So I have the app monitor a spare i/o port* which has a 'HALT' button connected to it, and it fires off a configurable command, such as "(sync; sync; sync; poweroff)&" Of course, this only works if the app itself is working at the time.

*In my case this isn't directly one of the Pi's GPIO pins but an SPI expansion i/o port. However, you could do it with one of the Pi's GPIO pins and a suitable program.
--
Andrew Gabriel
Andrew Gabriel

If you have spare GPIO pins, you can wire buttons to it to do that and use a simple shell script to monitor/control. Shorting one of the I2C lines to 0v will reboot a halted Pi too.

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Henderson