How do I keep my LCD monitor 'alive'

I read in sci.electronics.design that Pussels wrote (in ) about 'How do I keep my LCD monitor 'alive'', on Sun, 20 Mar 2005:

If the blanking detects absence of sync pulses, you might win with a sync regenerator, but it could be a brute-force solution.

'What is a Moebius strip?'
John Woodgate

This is a bit of a kludge, but look at the Intersil sync separators EL1883 /EL4583etc(there are quite a few to choose from).

You use the sync generator which is locked to the incoming video feed to supply syncs to the monitor when the incoming video is bad. You detect the bad video by looking at the RSSI signal strength pin on the Rx and use a video switch, (Maxim etc) to toggle between the real video and th locally generated.

You will probably need to provide hystersys so that when the RSSI "is on the edge" it doesnt keep flipping too often

I dont think this is a one chip solution. It might be quicker to get a different LCD

martin

Opinions are like assholes -- everyone has one

Reply to
martin griffith

EL4585 is the one

martin

Opinions are like assholes -- everyone has one

Reply to
martin griffith

or if you are recording onto a DVcam, look through the monitor out, this will **possibly** have the syncs regenerated

sorry for the sloppy thinking, should have thought of this before

martin

Opinions are like assholes -- everyone has one

Reply to
martin griffith

I just bought an expensive 10.4" daylight readable LCD monitor for a project.

The problem is that the monitor is designed to blank to no image (black) if no video signal is present.

My video source can be a little noisy, ie dropped frame every now and again because the video camera is on a small mobile vehicle tramsmitting video over a video sender and occasionaly you get a droped frame or two.

If I connect the video input to a another monitor without this blanking circuit, the video is much more constant, but with some of the frames seen with noise etc (which cause the other monitor to blank to no picture for about a second).

Can anybody suggest a way to 'fool' the monitor into thinking that is always has a 'solid' video signal, but display the signal with dropped frames and/or noise.

Any help would be very greatly appreciated. The manufacturer said this blanking circuit cannot be disabled.

Brian

Reply to
Pussels

thanks fellas, I will give those ideas a try.

Brian

Reply to
Pussels