Doesn't take them long...

This is the main reason why I moved to FreeBSD. Too much non-sense going into linux.

Reply to
Baho Utot

There's always LFS.

Reply to
Rob Morley

You may be surprised.

For starters, quite a few people use a RaspberryPi to support a web interface for their online weather station.

They are also being used as FLARM interface servers to connect the software FLARM receiver to the main display server but I don't know whether this set-up uses bash or exposes it to exploitation.

--
martin@   | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK

Please don't feed the any of the dozen different names the troll is posting under. Filter on the organization header.

---druck

Reply to
druck

What, filter all eternal september users?

Reply to
Andy Burns

It would be start. :-)

Reply to
mm0fmf

Hmmm.

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Henderson

Interesting. Any suggestions for a cheap Usenet service that doesn't get this kind of blanket treatment? My old Usenet service was killed off some time ago.

Reply to
Anssi Saari

You can access the groups d'usenet on here.

Also, I find Giganews to be very reasonable. I pay only $7.99 per month for as much as I want. Of course, I do only access the C.S.A2.* and one Verilog group, but I can do more if I wanted to.

Bill Garber

Bill Garber

Eternal September is a good service - it may be populated by trolls, spammers and so on, but that doesn't mean it's bad. I've been using it for a few years now and it's been very reliable and stable - and at a very affordable price - ie. 0. (Although that's probably why it may be populated with trolls, spammers, etc.!)

But if you have to filter, there are better things to filter on than the posting service.

I've not personally seen evidence of my own messages being filtered, however who knows. However from my point of view, it's not my loss.

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Henderson

Another ES user here, and never had a problem so far.

--
W J G
Reply to

On Mon, 6 Oct 2014 16:22:54 -0400, "Bill Garber" declaimed the following:

One reason I still have my snail-speed DSL with Earthlink... (the other is that I'm permitted up to 8 distinct email addresses -- not forwarding to one mailbox, truly independent mailboxes; each with a web-space allotment)

Granted, Earthlink has subcontracted to Giganews for the server function rather than maintaining their own (both news.east.earthlink.net and news.west.earthlink.net now connect to the same Giganews server)

Dennis Lee Bieber

The Organization header isn't from Eternal September but instead is client- or in this case user-modified (ie. you set it to "A noiseless patient Spider").

Reply to
A. Dumas

I use

and pay 10 EUR per year. It does not carry groups with binaries.

Reply to
Gordon Levi

Errm. Yes it is. That's what you get if you _don't_ override Eternal September's default.

Reply to
Dave Farrance

If that's the case then this post won't have the spider in the header.

Reply to
Rob Morley

But it did. This one doesn't. Same client, same settings, different server.

Reply to
Rob Morley

Oh really! Sorry. I didn't think to investigate, thought "A noiseless patient Spider" surely couldn't be any official Org header...

Reply to
A. Dumas

Pretty sure that's forced by eternal-september )-:

(ie. it appears on my ES posts too and I've not set it anywhere)

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Henderson

I'll second the recommendation for news.individual.net.

HTH

--
Robert Riches
spamtrap42@jacob21819.net