cpu usgae 90% on Pi4

On my new raspberry Pi 4 I have just 2 programs running 24/7. One is CumulusMX weather station, and the other is Xeoma CCTV camera program with 4 cameras running.

Due to a couple of minor niggles with Xeoma on the Pi, I checked the cpu usage and it is getting on for 90%, which I know is high.

Is there anyway I can reduce this figure, and still keep the 2 programs.

Reply to
RobH

run 'top' in a console session to see what's eating your cycles. My guess would be the cameras

Josef Stalin
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Switch to mjpeg, if your cameras support it?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Thanks, that helped plus making a couple of changes to reduce cpu load, which now around 12% to 16% with around 80% idle.

Reply to
RobH

Unless you had it WELL ventilated, there is also the chance that it was throttling back due to overheating. That would exacerbate the issue.

Reply to
ray carter

The Pi is in a an acrylic case with a fan and heatsinks on the cpu and other parts, and it feels cool to the touch. It was the actual camera software where I made the changes.

Reply to
RobH