Adding VS Code to Pi

On Tue, 16 Feb 2021 12:18:41 +0000, Pancho declaimed the following:

Have you seen LyX

	wlfraed@ix.netcom.com    http://wlfraed.microdiversity.freeddns.org/
Reply to
Dennis Lee Bieber

I think I couldn't get full root permissions in the same way I could with NFS - had to mount as myself to take advantage of the passwordless access...

No big deal, but it works the way it is now

--
It?s easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.
Mark Twain

Er no...it wasnt

" The vi editor was developed starting around 1976 by Bill Joy, who was then a graduate student at the University of California at Berkeley. Joy later went on to help found Sun Microsystems and became its Chief Scientist.

"ed" was the original Unix text editor. *Like other early text editors, it was line oriented and used from dumb printing terminals*. Joy first developed "ex" as an improved line editor that supported a superset of ed commands. He then developed vi as a "visual interface" to ex. That is, it allows text to be viewed on a full screen rather than only one line at a time. vi takes its name from this fact.

vi remains very popular today in spite of the development and widespread availability of GUI (graphical user interface) mode text editors which are far more intuitive and much easier for beginners to use than text-mode text editors such as vi. GUI-mode text editors include gedit and Emacs, both of which have become very common on Linux and other Unixes today. "

-------------------------------------------------------------------- Perhaps you didnt take my meaning. Vi was never designed *from the ground up* as a CRT oriented WYSIWYG editor. It was a bolted on *Visual Interface* enhancement to ed/ex and as such retains all the line oriented controls and is almost useless in terms of being able to edit AND move around the document, and it has ed's powerful tools BECAUSE of that.

I dont know what if anything was the first decent CRT based text editor for Unix, because I never found one. Maybe EMACS. I never bothered to learn that because my time on Unix systems was as a hired contract coder

- I never had my 'own' environment - and you had to work with whatever was available and that meant overwhelmingly vi as the highest common factor..

Since I had already worked with Wordstar on CP/M and DOS, vi was, by comparison, utter shit.

But I learnt what I needed to to get the job done

twenty-first century?s developed world went into hysterical panic over a
globally average temperature increase of a few tenths of a degree, and,
on the basis of gross exaggerations of highly uncertain computer
projections combined into implausible chains of inference, proceeded to
contemplate a rollback of the industrial age.

Richard Lindzen
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Your quote confirms my statement - extracting the relevant piece.

C:\>WIN                                     | A better way to focus the sun
Ahem A Rivet's Shot

Nope. If confirms that Vi is basically a line oriented editor that was able to display more lines than Ed could. 25 instead of 1....

look exactly the same afterwards."

Billy Connolly
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Re: Re: Adding VS Code to Pi By: Theo to Phigan on Mon Feb 15 2021 09:56 pm

That's all that's notable about it :). It's basic/simple/small. I dunno, some people like that.

Reply to
Phigan