7.1 usb soundcard on RPI > 4 stereo audio outs

I am attempting to split a 7.1 usb soundcard into 4 stereo outputs on a ras
pberry pi, running raspbian, when I use lib_ao_default, its streams out of
the front channels seamlessly, when I use lib_options and specify the virtu
al soundcard I made, streaming is very choppy!

The same thing happens using aplay, just specifying the wav file it plays s
moothly, when I tell it to use 1 of the devs I specify it plays and a norma
l rate, but 4-5 times a second the audio stops playing, and continues as if
 it has played it.

here is my asound.conf

#/etc/asound.conf
pcm_slave.eightchannels {
pcm "hw:0,0" # or "hw:1,0" for the second card
channels 8
}
pcm.stereo1 {
type plug
slave.pcm {
type dshare
ipc_key 87882222
slave eightchannels
bindings [ 2 3 ]
}
}
pcm.stereo2 {
type plug
slave.pcm {
type dshare
ipc_key 87882222
slave eightchannels
bindings [ 4 5 ]
}
}
pcm.stereo3 {
type plug
slave.pcm {
type dshare
ipc_key 87882222
slave eightchannels
bindings [ 6 7 ]
}
}
pcm.stereo4 {
type plug
slave.pcm {
type dshare
ipc_key 87882222
slave eightchannels
bindings [ 0 1 ]
}
}

lsusb -v -t
/: Bus 01.Port 1: Dev 1, Class=root_hub, Driver=dwc_otg/1p, 480M
|__ Port 1: Dev 2, If 0, Class=hub, Driver=hub/3p, 480M
|__ Port 1: Dev 3, If 0, Class=vend., Driver=smsc95xx, 480M
|__ Port 3: Dev 5, If 0, Class=audio, Driver=snd-usb-audio, 12M
|__ Port 3: Dev 5, If 1, Class=audio, Driver=snd-usb-audio, 12M
|__ Port 3: Dev 5, If 2, Class=audio, Driver=snd-usb-audio, 12M
|__ Port 3: Dev 5, If 3, Class=HID, Driver=usbhid, 12M

aplay -l
card 0: Device [USB Sound Device], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]
Subdevices: 0/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: ALSA [bcm2835 ALSA], device 0: bcm2835 ALSA [bcm2835 ALSA]
Subdevices: 8/8
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
Subdevice #1: subdevice #1
Subdevice #2: subdevice #2
Subdevice #3: subdevice #3
Subdevice #4: subdevice #4
Subdevice #5: subdevice #5
Subdevice #6: subdevice #6
Subdevice #7: subdevice #7

aplay -L
null
default:CARD=Device
USB Sound Device, USB Audio
Default Audio Device
sysdefault:CARD=Device
USB Sound Device, USB Audio
front:CARD=Device,DEV=0
USB Sound Device, USB Audio
Front speakers
surround40:CARD=Device,DEV=0
USB Sound Device, USB Audio
surround41:CARD=Device,DEV=0
USB Sound Device, USB Audio
surround50:CARD=Device,DEV=0
USB Sound Device, USB Audio
surround51:CARD=Device,DEV=0
USB Sound Device, USB Audio
surround71:CARD=Device,DEV=0
USB Sound Device, USB Audio
iec958:CARD=Device,DEV=0
USB Sound Device, USB Audio
IEC958 (S/PDIF) Digital Audio Output
default:CARD=ALSA
bcm2835 ALSA, bcm2835 ALSA
sysdefault:CARD=ALSA
bcm2835 ALSA, bcm2835 ALSA

James

Re: 7.1 usb soundcard on RPI > 4 stereo audio outs

OBviously you know a great deal more about ALSA than I have been able
to track down.

Do you know of any good reference information available on line?

--
Windmill, snipped-for-privacy@Nonetel.com               Use  t m i l l
J.R.R. Tolkien:-                                   @ O n e t e l . c o m