2.5TByte SATA drive to pi?

That's why versioning of the data structure is useful--even necessary.

The question is, why are we using our noses for a wall detector when we have long-range sensors?

--
-michael - NadaNet 3.1 and AppleCrate II: http://home.comcast.net/~mjmahon
Reply to

Yup. GPT is the replacement. For 30+ years MBR served us well.

They have done. GPT supports upto 8ZiB which should do for the next few years.

Just as well that GPT has been around for 10+ years if not longer. Modern OS such as Windows 7/8, OSX & Linux support GPT.

You can mix MBR and GPT for backward compatibility. GPT only appears as a formatted disk to MBR only software.

Gosh, did the standards sponsors check with you they have done GPT and UEFI correctly?

The issue here is not lack of foresight in standards but the fact that really cheap USB caddies don't support big drives. These things cost peanuts and are knocked by the zillions in China etc. Masked programmed devices churned out for cheapness. I'm sure if there was a market for extensible and configurable USB caddies with FLASH and upgradable firmware so that you could use cheap throwaway hardware forever then you would be able to buy them. Their absence suggests no demand.

If I want future proofing and backwards compatibility then I can buy an IBM zSeries box so I can run all my old 360/370/390 code as well as modern stuff and know that as time moves on, IBM will be there to empty my wallet and provide new hardware/software that will do new cool things and still support 50year old code. It doesn't come cheap. If I spend $15 for a caddy I can live with the limits and know that in 18months from now next generation caddies will be available for peanuts.

Reply to
mm0fmf

Agreed.

Thanks for clarifying the issue for me.