Zen Micro MP3 - Cold Solder On Headphone Jack

Hi. I have a Zen Micro MP3 player that has developed a cold solder joint around the headphone jack (and possiblly also the USB jack). I have read in other forums that this cold solder problem is notorious for this particular player. The warranty is past due. The only "official" options seems to be sending it to Creative to pay them to put it back in the condition that it started out in (weak and ready to break again). There are guides online about how to open the unit and repair it, but I have no experience soldering.

I took it apart, looked at the solder joints under my microscope, and saw many crack and fissures along the "feet" where the headphone jack and USB jack meet the circuit board. I was thinking about getting a small soldering iron, practicing a few times on some old junk around the house, and then just adding a little solder on top of the existing "feet" to try and restore a little conductivity and strenghthen the joint a little. Then maybe go all the way around it with some epoxy to further strengthen the whole thing?

I was just wondering if anyone had any tips on what a newb like me should keep in mind. And if nothing else, at least this post can serve as a warning to people about the poor quality of this product's design.

There is a good site with pictures showing exactly what I am talking about.

psistormyamato

It won't be very difficult to fix especially if you already have it apart !

I wouldn't be one bit surprised if the problem is due to the use of lead-free solder in manufacture.

Do use solder using lead for the repair. It's far more reliable.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

I'll keep that in mind, thanks.

The 4 attachment points for both jacks are very thin. The guy that did the repair job in the link that I provided added quite a bit more solder as was already there. I emailed him last night and he said that his player is still working today (at least 2 years later). He said he did not add any epoxy, just solder. I think I will add some epoxy around the edges of the jack housings when I'm done adding solder, just to add some extra strength and make sure this never happens again.

Reply to
psistormyamato

Reply to
Bennett Price

You may regret that if you need to solder it again though.

I'd advise you try without epoxy first.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

I fixed one of these a few months ago, all you have to do is heat up the joint and flow in a bit of fresh rosin core solder. Takes about 5 minutes and should be well within the range of a beginner, I do recommend practicing on something first if you've never soldered though.

Reply to
James Sweet