Audio jack identification

Hi,

The audio jack in my laptop (a sony vaio z1) died and I would like to replace it. I checked the digikey catalog but could not determine whether they have a compatible model.

I thought maybe if I provided some pictures, someone could help me identify its type.

Pictures are here:

. The faulty jack is the green one.

On the first two pictures, I've taken the little removable plastic ring off the jack's head.

I presume there are four pins, but can't be sure, since it sits on the mainboard which is quite a pain to dismantle.

Thanks

Reply to
iazz

What makes you think the problem is the jack? Did it physically break?

Reply to
Travis Jordan

Ah, yes, I suppose so.

When I plug headphones, the main speakers don't mute anymore and in the headphones I can hear what sounds very much like the difference between the two channels in mono (probably the jack now connects one channel to both outs and the other to the ground). When the phones are unplugged, the sound coming out of the main speakers is okay.

The little blades inside must be broken.

Reply to
iazz

No matter what, you are going to have to disassembly the machine to reach the bottom of the motherboard...or cut a hole through the case just under the jack. If you do the later...expect another layer of PCB and/or a metal shield (or maybe nothing). You may well find that the jack is NOT physically broken...that the solder joints have come loose ("cold solder joint") and that a touch with a soldering iron will fix the problem. Be aware that the motherboard may to a multi-layer device (anywhere from 2 to 7 layers)...so surgical soldering technique is mandatory. Good luck...you are going to need it.

Reply to
webpa

Well, in fact the disassembly is pretty trivial, no need to cut holes. =)

As for the jack being broken or not, I have inspected it very thoroughly and the solder joints are okay.

Reply to
iazz

Since the main speakers are working, have you thought about checking to see if you could addl a new jack but still keep the "broken" one?

Reply to
reply

did you check the headphones on another setup? rw

Reply to
Ryan Weihl

These are not standard jacks that you will find at most parts suppliers. You would have to find a way to substitute them.

The other alternative to have the computer properly serviced, is to let the factory rep service it. They have access to the original parts, under agreement with the manufacture of the computer.

In many cases, they change the complete board to service any component problems on the board.

--

JANA _____

The audio jack in my laptop (a sony vaio z1) died and I would like to replace it. I checked the digikey catalog but could not determine whether they have a compatible model.

I thought maybe if I provided some pictures, someone could help me identify its type.

Pictures are here:

. The faulty jack is the green one.

On the first two pictures, I've taken the little removable plastic ring off the jack's head.

I presume there are four pins, but can't be sure, since it sits on the mainboard which is quite a pain to dismantle.

Thanks

Reply to
JANA

=)

Reply to
iazz

I see, thanks.

And that's the point. The machine not being under warranty anymore, it would just be way too expensive. Too bad. :/

Reply to
iazz

One option is to look through yours and your friends stack of old walkmen for a suitable match, in a pinch you might find one with the screw type chassi mounting, whic will lend itself to mounting upside down inside with thin wires going to the edge of the pcb and under for soldering onto the sodler island from underneath. This should keep the connector flush to the pcb so no strain is put anywhere except the chassis. It might mean that you will have a nut visible from the outside, but there is nothing to stop you from getting one in a dark or light eloxided color. Spray on colours will probably wear off over time from usage.

A replacement connector might al work using upside down mounting an thin wires going to the solder islands.

-Mikkel

Reply to
Mikkel Breiler