Yellow and blue line next to TV picture

Dear all,

I have a problem with my TV picture. I have a widescreen TV that shows

4:3 pictures with black bars on the side. On the left side of the picture there is a small top to bottom vertical yellowish line (1 pixel wide which blends with the picture). On the right side there is a similar line which is blue. When havind a test pattern with plusses, I notice that only the left column of plusses has a yellowish glow on the left side of the plusses and the right column has a blueish glow on the right side of the plusses (got that? :)).

How can I correct this?

In the service menu I have the possiblity to set the RGB-drives and Vut-off values. This is only to set white as white right? An extra option is the PDL (Peak Drive Level). What does this option do?

Thanks!

Jan

Reply to
Jan

What brand, model and type (CRT, LCD projection, LCD direct-view, DLP, Plasma) TV? If you look TOO close, you will always see pixels or phosphor dots/stripes on some TV's.

law!!
http://home.att.net/~andyross
Reply to
Andrew Rossmann

It is a B&O Avant 32" type 8420. I can see the lines from 3-4 meters away. If I have a dots test pattern I can also see that the colors are not aligned, although I have to be close to see. The dots on the left side are more misaligned than the right ones, i.e., on the right side the dots are white and on the left they have a white center with red and blue/green glow.

Thanks

Jan

Reply to
Jan

Almost certainaly a bad tube. remove the back cover and look for the type number, a W76ESFxxxxx is prone to die fast, but in strange ways.

Any "ESF" in the type number means that you are out of luck. Only chance is to complain to B&O, they are very sensitive to bad publicity.

Reply to
Ole Geisler

OK, it is a W76ESF331x44. So before complaining to B&O, what are other options. I have heard that the cost are for the user anyway so complaining will not bring too much (although I'm going to try). If I replace the tube, does it have to be the same one? I mean can it be another W76ESFxxxxxx tube? Is it wise to replace it before it dies?

Reply to
Jan

Why a bad tube ? Sounds like a convergence error on blue. Only a bad tube, if there are no yoke adjustments, and you count the yoke as being part of the tube. Any slot mask tube is inherently self converging, but there may be a couple of adjustments on the yoke itself for fine tweaking. I would not want to start playing with them without knowing exactly what they were supposed to do though. I agree that you are best to contact B&O and tell them that you are very unhappy with the product. For more info on what you are seeing and what level of misconvergence you should expect, take a look at

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Thanks Arfa,

I see that I have a small convergence error on the outside of the picture. The picture though looks great and has no errors at all. The teletext looks very crisp and no convergence errors there. Maybe I'm too picky but I know about the problems of the too early dying W76ESF tubes. Does anybody has some figures on that, e.g., what percentage dies and what is the average lifetime?

Thanks again

Jan

Reply to
Jan

There is no convergence adjustments, and the yoke is a part of the tube. I have seen these problems on a LOT of these sets.

Reply to
Ole Geisler

You _could_ have an error in the colour decoding circuitry or failure of the video outputs, but it is very rare on these sets. B&O makes really nice electronics, and uses a lot of ressources makaing their products reliable. The tube problem could not be foreseen, i know it has been a big pain for B&O.

Where do you live (country)?

You can use some, other not. Not easy to answer.

No, no problem.

Reply to
Ole Geisler

Hi Ole,

Thanks for your help so far! I live in the Netherlands.

I bought this set 2nd hand. I found that the picture geometry was not completely aligned properly (didn't notice before buying it) and had some settings changed. Although having the picture geometry corrected and have more than enough light output and a crisp picture it is only the two lines I was wondering. Could it be that the light output (G2) is just too high? I do not see any retrace lines though. I had contact with a repair shop which repair the philips W76ESF tubes. Have you experience with that or did you ever heard about it?

Do you know if there is a central database where I can get information on the service applied to this TV? Or do I need to contact the dealer where the TV was bought by the original buyers?

Thanks

Jan

Reply to
Jan

OK. Not a bad palce to be regarding B&O service.

Could be.

Maybe you are lucky the, and the tube is OK!

Years ago we had tubes repaired with new electrode systems, maybe someone still does this. Any repair of a ESF tube without replacing the electrode system is short lived, been there - done that - got the T-shirt (And pissed customers). ANY kind of regeneration/grid/cathode burn is without long-term effect.

How about teletext, how does it display?

Yes. And no. You can NOT access it. No I can NOT help you with this.

Try it.

Reply to
Ole Geisler

Great, no problem. No extra lines I do not like :).

I tried but the guy did not have any record. He was friendly but I find it strange that they do not hold any service record. Maybe they do but do not want to tell....

Thanks Ole

Reply to
Jan

The tube is probably OK then.

Hmmmmmmmmm.

What you need is probably a exchange chassis, not very expensive.

3-400?, including in-house change and setup is what you should expect. If you gets another (more expensive) answer, try to contact B&O in Denmark directly, no problem if you speak English.

They are VERY nice to talk with, always helpful - even to endusers.

Reply to
Ole Geisler

Hi Ole,

Thanks for the help. I hope the tube will last longer.=20

Cheers

Jan

Reply to
Jan