Yamaha RX-V992 won't power on

Pressing the power button gets relay click and power LED flash (on volume control) but all shuts down immediately.

Looked for infamous "pink cap" on "sub power supply" (there is one) and replaced but no change in symptoms.

Jumpered the relay contacts and using a Variac ran voltage up full (while watching main transformer secondary voltages): all seems normal but still no signs of life. Transformer voltages are as expected (2 pairs of windings; each pair share a common center tap, total: 4 windings, all voltages increase linearly with increase of primary V). Still no display or control functionality at all.

Pressing the power button (with jumpered relay and full mains voltage applied) gets same symptoms.

So far I think I can rule out a shorted output device.

How best to proceed with the troubleshooting?

Ideas?

I have the service manual.

Thanks.

Reply to
Bob E.

no

increase

voltages increase linearly and match + and - ? Any SIL protection device eg (uP)C1237 , get the data on it and work around its inputs and outputs , could be IC failure or genuine bad/erroneous bad input

Reply to
N_Cook

volume

(while

still

windings;

around

If microcontroller based, then similar sort of skirting around process, but not so easy working out the relevant inputs/outputs

Reply to
N_Cook

I removed the temporary jumper from across the relay contacts. And:

Let's talk function and not label... The obvious "pink cap" (0.01 uF/50v) is across the ~12v secondary of the small transformer near the AC input. It is an AC filter cap. I measured 4 vac across it. Replaced with a mylar and it's a reasonable 12 v now.

Here's that little PCB:

I replaced C312.

Any other suggestions?

The supercap (0.047F / 5.5v) on one of the function PCBs is obviously leaking and corroded. I removed it (it caused no further damage to the PCB) and will get a replacement today. Shouldn't the unit boot if this was the cause of pulling down the 5v line (I'm guessing at this -- haven't found it in the schematic so don't know what, exactly, it's hooked to...)?

Symptoms remain unchanged with new filter cap and removed super cap.

Ideas welcome.

Thanks.

Reply to
Bob E.

What do the extra labels mean next to many of the components on the schematic?

Next to a transistor is its label "Q302" and next to that is "s10".

Just on this small board there are these extra labels from "s10" through "s37".

What is this "s" designation for?

Thanks.

Reply to
Bob E.

Looking at the schematic, it might indicate a part whose value changes (or is/is not installed) based on which version of the board is being used. Note that parts with the "s" labels don't have a specific value listed - compare C308, marked just "s14", with C307, marked "1000/25". Also note that the fuses and transformer all have "s" labels; these parts often are different for a power supply with 120 V vs 240 V input. Also, it doesn't make sense to have J301 and Q302 installed at the same time; J301 would just bypass Q302 in that case. Both J301 and Q302 have "s" numbers. Somewhere on the schematic or in the manual there should be a table of "s" number to part number based on the version of the board.

To your original problem, have you tried unplugging CB304 and measuring the voltage across +MB and G, or across C307? Those should be pretty close to 12.5 V DC. If you have a scope, also measure the same place for AC ripple; if you don't, put your multimeter on AC and measure the same place - you should have much less than 1 V AC. If there is a lot of ripple, check C307 and C308.

Matt Roberds

Reply to
mroberds

I can try to help. You can email me at:

mark snipped-for-privacy@labolgcbs.net

and reverse labolgcbs to read "sbcglobal"

Mark Z.

Reply to
Mark Zacharias

Replaced the supercap (0.047F/5.5V), no joy. Same symptoms.

The "+MB" 12v line coming from the "sub power supply" board is 14.2v with very little (0.05V) ripple.

The "switch on" signal (PRY) that runs the mains relay comes from the main controller, IC1 (HD643361-A49P).

I jumpered manually the PRY signal from the 12v (actually 14) to the PRY line. This gives the same symptom as pressing the power button: mains relay clicks, volume control LED lights and goes out.

Not being to check DC voltages at the pins on this IC (we're not powered on yet) the schematic does call out 2 scope checks to do on IC1: the oscillator signal for; and the RESET signal which triggers when the mains input cable is connected (and, curiously, NOT when the power switch is pushed). I'll check these tomorrow.

Thanks.

Reply to
Bob E.

Schematic of IC1 and "power down detect" circuit is here:

Bob E.

THis maybe a stupid suggestion but, I've found this many times in sub micro processor units that get moved, hit, vibrated etc... Have you check to see if the processor has a xtal and is so, is it operating?

Many times the crystal will break loose from their connections inside, due to vibration...

Also, I saw another piece of equipment that monitors the elimination of a florescent display, if no light, no processor. Basically if that part of the circuit fails, the rest will wait. That makes perfect sense because you don't want to be operating blindly on some equipment.

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

Not stupid at all. As a matter of fact the Yamaha factory service manual says that this is one of the first steps to take when diagnosing (I now see after rereading this section...)

I'll look at that next.

Thanks.

Reply to
Bob E.