WTD: Schematic or link to online source for same Kenwood TM261A

Per the subject line or would like to talk to anyone who is familiar with the memory or mode control of the memory or processor in this radio. I'm looking at a function "F" button (switch) that works (beeps and will cause a press-time-out) but doesn't otherwise effect any control.

Gord VE1AJF

Reply to
Gord S

Sorry, no tech info, but a couple of thoughts.

The fact that it beeps indicates that the key is being scanned, and that the microprocessor is running. When you way "Press timeout" do you mean that the "F" indicator lights, then goes out after an appropriate time out period of no activity.

If so, this tells us that the key is being scanned correctly (interpreted as Function). If no "F" indicator, there may be a fault in the keyboard matrix which is causing the key to be interpreted as something else.

Do all of the other keys work normally? If so, and the "F" indicator is lighting when you press Function, then it pretty much has to be a "software" issue, the microprocessor is not acting on the key properly.

If other functions don't work, then the radio could be locked - Press F then LOCK (leftmost key iirc) to unlock it.

If that't not it, try a full reset - hold MR while power-on, then release, and when you get "all segments on" on the LCD, press MR again. That should restore the radio to factory defaults (you will use you programmed memoryies etc.).

Dave VE3DRD

-- dave06a@ Low-cost firmware development tools:

dunfield. Classic computer collection:
com Some stuff I have for sale:

Dave Dunfield

Agreed. The "F" indicator should show a second "F" on the LCD display if I read the basic instruction manual correct - and it doesn't. There is a beep when I press the button, and a second one approx 1.5 secs later if held pressed (my reference to a timer), however the display doesn't change with any attempt at a function change.

Good point - will investigate.

As mentioned above.....keys beep but no change can be made, no alternative display or menu can be brought up.

I'm not seeing a LOCK key except for a lock slide switch on the rear of the mic. I doubt this does more than disable the mic keys but I tried it with any combination I could think of - zippo.

I had hoped this might work, but it doesn't.....As above, the button will beep if pressed and cause a channel scan if pressed >1sec but otherwise will not effect a reset when pressed in conjunction with the power on (I'm used to having done this on other equipment). No "all segments on" either.....just a power up to the channel display operating condition.

I'm currently looking at the diagram to see where the key-pressed "beep" comes from......thinking if it's the micropro, then it is probably receiving the command (but may be otherwise disabled at another pin). If external, then I've got more digging to do.

Reply to
Gord S

Sounds to me, like you're missing a "lock out" command too. Check the manual for such a function. You're probably right about the "Mic" lock switch, if it is as I've usually seen.

Reply to
radiosrfun

Thanks for the reply radiosrfun! I don't believe this radio is in a lock mode as I don't see the lock "key" symbol indicating on the lcd display (as it should indicate). It basically seems that the radio has one symptom which is that the Function key has no effect (other than to indicate that it's basically working by causing a beep when pressed). Having said that, I can not reset anything either so despite not indicating a LOCK condition, the processor doesn't seem to be re-configurable.

radiosrfun wrote:

Reply to
Gord S

Do you have the "owners" manual to do a "reset" - even though you said you tried doing one? I looked for a copy of the manual - but - the one I found, all the pages weren't there. It was missing about the last 15 or so.

I hope you can find the issue..... If someone has a "full" copy of the "owners" manual, "schematic" or "Service" manual, maybe some ideas can be tried. I'll look around, but hopefully others can hop in and help.

Reply to
radiosrfun

Reply to
Gord S

Just wish I had a copy of the "Service Manual" to help more - but I don't......... I'm sure they're out there - for the purchase - which is what it appears the next step "might" be. I don't know what else to suggest being I don't have any of the manuals here to refer to. Sorry "I" can't be of more help at the moment. Sometimes, it is a matter of overlooking the minor stuff - which is why I also asked if you had done that. I've been there and done that as I'm sure you and many other's have. IF I can come up with anymore info - I'll pass it along. Right now - without schematics, etc.... I'm in the dark too. Good luck!

Just a sec...... Got to "Rec.Radio.Swap" - there was a guy - not sure if he floats in these groups or not - his name is Cliff. Used to have a Kenwood Shop. Ask for him - or post your query there - maybe he'll pick up on it and be able to give a hand.

Reply to
contact