Re: Where can I get this old style mouse?

I happen to have a five button PS/2 scroll mouse laying around. I

> could send it to you cheap and you could try it at least. I doubt they > made a custom chip for it. > > I have heard of that scroll.exe. I bet if you find the INI file goes > with it you might be able to change the button to work on a regular > modern scroll muse with the scroll press instead of the side button. > > J

Did you reply?

Reply to
Robert Macy

Microsoft mice (and probably many other brands) have a variable-magnifier feature. Default activation is by pressing the right "thumb" button.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

Using the free Microsoft IntelliPoint program, you can assign any function to any button.

So there.

Ball's in your court.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

mine is done via pressing the scroll wheel. It clicks along with scrolling. :)

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

Run on Win98?

The one I tried using from Microsoft, only applied a list of 'fixed' functions to the mouse buttons, not the magnifier in scroll.exe

Reply to
Robert Macy

You didn't say what's wrong with it, but if it's a broken cord or a worn-out switch, those are easy to fix or replace. Mice are a dime-a-dozen at garage sales, and they almost all use the same-size microswitches -- and cables.

Isaac

Reply to
isw

Did you have the current version of IntelliPoint installed? (It comes with many keyboard and mouse products. Or you can download it.)

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

third time replaced the cord. body broke off at detent and mouse ball falls out - same with both units! 'left' microswitch is starting to go wonky

I called to where I used to stop by and pickup stuff [WeirdStuff, Sunnyvale, CA], asked them to ship a box of old PS2 mice to me and they balked. seems at 1.95 ea there wasn't enough to make it worthwhile, so....

Ok throw in a PC - old Dell unit for $99.95 I get Intel 2GHz, 1GB RAM and a 80GB HD, CD, & ?? running WinXP SP??

Would have been fine, but they wanted $50-60 for shipping !!

Back to the cables, I've gone through all 7 of my mouse cables, and some are missing 1 wire, so can't use anyway.

Everytime I replace the cable I have to CAREFULLY noodle it out, resolder in all the wires to the connector and color code NEVER applies! and figure out the connections. Just wanted to step back, reset, and get an exact replacement that works - for a while. That way I can work on one while the other is being used.

Reply to
Robert Macy

Apparently THAT only runs on WinXP and above.

Remember this is a Win98 machine. Used for writing and two games.

Reply to
Robert Macy

I'm running version 6.31 on Windows 2000 Pro, SP4. It's copyrighted 2008.

There is a version that runs on Win98.

William Sommerwerck

I wear out mice and trackballs all the time. I pull the right button switch (less used) out of old mice and replace the switches in the ones I use when they go flakey. Usually the left button goes out first. Almost all mice/trackballs use identical switches that are transplantable.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson