What sets vacuums apart?

Hm. One of the things I like best about our bagless vacuum is that it doesn't fill the air with dust. It, and the Rainbow we bought used but which doesn't seem to have much suction any more, are the best ones we've ever had.

--
                Music hath charms to soothe the savage breast.
                     That's why stereo has two channels.

Easy answer - go to the Library and look through the appropriate issue of Consumer Reports. It will answer all these questions.

Bill Jeffrey

Reply to
Bill Jeffrey

Hi!

Depends on...I've found a number of their 1980s or so canister vacuums on the curb and found most of them to have no problem at all. Sometimes I even got the accessories. (That said, I do need a set of bearings that would be suitable for use with one of their canister vacuums. I have one that the front motor bearing is blown on. It runs but shrieks like the dickens and makes everyone want to hide! I haven't been able to find replacements, not even from Electrolux.)

Some years ago I picked up a positively ancient Electrolux canister from a church sale. It couldn't be any newer than the 1950s. For $2 it wasn't a bad deal at all. The broken latch on the lid was easily fixed. It is still running along today. Getting the bags is no problem, as the container they come in says "for all Electrolux canisters 1953 and newer"...pretty amazing.

I also have an Electrolux Epic upright (!!!) that is the only Electrolux upright I have ever seen. It was tossed into the trash at work because of a burned out power switch that made the handle get very hot in operation. Somehow I think it will be going long after the vacuum that replaced it has been retired. It seemed silly to let them toss it for what took me about fifteen minutes to fix.

I don't know if their current products still last this long or not.

William

Reply to
William R. Walsh

Well when you can find them used for next to nothing then anything can be a bargain, again they're not bad products, just vastly overpriced new.

Have you tried McMaster Carr? I got a bearing from them for the air pump in my hot tub, it had sat full of water for months and the bearing was shot but McMaster had something that fit perfectly.

Reply to
James Sweet

Is that the art-deco one with the sleigh-style skis on the bottom? My parents used to have one of those. They're pretty cool looking, a genuine piece of industrial art. Looks like something The Rocketeer would strap to his back. ;)

Reply to
David Brodbeck

Do you mean the $800+ models, or the $300-$350 models as well? The cheapest available today is around $110, but the cheapest of anything is usually worthless.

--

Reply in group, but if emailing add another
zero, and remove the last word.

Well I guess it depends on what other vacuums cost these days. I've never in my life paid more than $50 for one and that was the Kirby I quit using because it was too heavy and clumsy, the one I've had since then was free. All is relative I suppose. It's a vacuum, I just need to to clean, I don't need a status symbol.

Reply to
James Sweet