what is typical voltage of new nicad?

Just wondering what the typical initial voltage is of a new aa or aaa nicad battery before the first time you charge it. I just bought some and the voltage ranges from .9 to .99 volts which seems too low to me, I know it is very bad to let batteries full to this voltage normally but what about when they are brand new, are these voltages ok then,as anybody else measured the votlage on new batteries before charging them for the first time. I wonder if the ones I bought have been on the shelf too long.

Reply to
rolling

May be fully discharged. New NiCds don't mind being near 0 V.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Mirror:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Note: These links are hopefully temporary until we can sort out the excessive traffic on Repairfaq.org.

Important: Anything sent to the email address in the message header above is ignored unless my full name is included in the subject line. Or, you can contact me via the Feedback Form in the FAQs.

Reply to
Sam Goldwasser

There's nothing wrong with discharging nicads all the way. The problem is with batteries (cells in series); there will always be one cell weaker than the rest and when it gets discharged to zero, it'll then get charged in reverse from the others ramming current through it.

Reply to
TCS

I was once told that NiCd batteries should come fully discharged and have a much longer shelf storage versus once they receive their initial charge. I do not know if this is indeed true or not, but it seemed to make sense to me. I do know that fully charged and fairly new NiCd batteries will fully discharge on their own without any external current drawn over a period of

2-3 months.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

Thanks to both of you for those helpful replies.

Reply to
rolling

They don't charge 'em cause the process time to do so would bring the production line to a crawl. There are probably other secondary issues. mike

with links.  Delete this sig when replying.
.
Wanted 13" LCD for Mitac 6133 Samsung HT13X13-201
MAKE THE OBVIOUS CHANGES TO THE LINK
mike