WALL C'LOCK NOT LASTING ?

When ever i buy a new wall c'lock the seller mentioned don't use alkaline battery just use a nomal battery other wise it will damage the c'lock.Can any person know why ? Thanks !

Reply to
mowhoong

Since the wall clock uses very little current, doesn't the run time approach the shelf life of the cell? I thought alkalines were better than zinc-carbon cells for shelf life. I use only alkalines for the kids toys and flashlights and NIMH for the digicams. GG

Reply to
stratus46

Alkaline AA or AAA batteries have the same voltage as their non-alkaline counterparts. If this is a standard clock with mechanical moving hands and one or two AA or AAA cells, you can expect the alkalines to last at least twice as long. If these are standard 1.5V AA or AAA batteries, your salesperson doesn't know what they're talking about (it wouldn't be the first time!) Maybe they were out of stock on alkaline batteries. ;-)

Your call.

Good luck Chris

Reply to
Chris

The carbon/ zinc is still available, By ohm law current input to the clock is the same as alkaline battery, I think it may be too strong for the moving coil, hence foce apply to the small gear maight be too strong.

Reply to
mowhoong

Sounds like bunk to me. Are carbon / zinc "normal" batteries still available?

Reply to
Lord Garth

"mowhoong" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com...

Alkaline batteries are known for their capability to give pretty much current in a short time. That's one of the reasons, commercials for that kind of batteries always show moving ojects that use pretty much current. If you require very little current during a long time, the alkaline is not the battery of choice. Ordinary zinc-carbons have a much better price performance ratio in that type of applications. Never heard that a alkaline battery will harm a clock. I can't imagine how. Sounds like a fairy tale to me.

petrus bitbyter

Reply to
petrus bitbyter

Decades ago, when zinc-carbon were the only thing available, they certainly had a tendency to leak. I remember ruined flashlights, and likely other things, because the batteries actually went bad rather than just ran out of power.

So I know I avoided them as alkalines came along, and that's been at least a couple of decades. Maybe it was just the process used back then, and zinc-carbon don't leak these days, but I'm not sure I'd want to risk them in something that was more expensive than a flashlight.

Micahel

Reply to
Michael Black

They are called "Heavy duty" these days.

--
?

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I have a pile of "Delancey" carbon zinc cells in my recycling bucket and they are all starting to leak.

--
?

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

"mowhoong" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com...

No. Both zinc carbon and alkaline are voltage sources. About 1.5V. The current they actually supply, depends on the load, not on the chemistry. So the clock take what it needs, not what to source is able to give. If you have a heavy load (motors for instance) things change. An alkaline can provide much more current then zinc carbon and can provide that current for a longer time.

petrus bitbyter

Reply to
petrus bitbyter

How often do you buy a new wall clock? Is the seller the same person? No such problems exist. Buy what fits in the clock. If you buy "Dollar Store" batteries with a strange name on them maybe they will leak, otherwise no difference. Tom

Reply to
Tom Biasi

Hi Tom I bought 4 set , use for diffrient place , other clock seller give the same Ans.

Reply to
mowhoong

Are you sure they are not saying "Do not use RECHARGEABLE" alkalines?

Reply to
Tom Biasi