What is the purspose of pre-tinned wire?

is

sh

THAT DEPENDS ON OTHER FACTORS NOT RE3LATED TO THE CHARACTERISTICS YOU'VE DESCRIBED

SURFACE AREA VS COMPRESION CONNECTORS

WITH TEEETH GRIPS THAT ACTUALLY SINK INTO THE WIRE ANY SPECULATION CAN BE SAFELY CANCLELED DUE TO THE FACT THAT THE WIRE IS PIERCED AND MECHANICALLY GRIPPED INTERNALLY NOT EXTERNALLY

THOUGH THIS TYPE OFCONNECTION IS HARDLY USED WHEN SPLICING CABLES THE SERRATED TOOTH CONNECTORS ARE FAR BETTER OF COURSE BOLTS AND OTHER FASTENING DEVICES SHOULD BITE INTO TYHE CABLE FOR A SOLID AND SOUND CONDUCTIVE CONNECTION...TARNISHSED WIRE DOES NOT WELD WELL AND SHOULD BE CLEANED THOROUGHLY AND PREPARED BEFORE ATTEMPTING TO ATTACH WITH SOLDER

ALL TROLLS STINK AND SHOULD BE DECAPTIVATED FROM THIS USENET PROCEED AND EXECUTE KILLFILE OF ALL COX.NET USERS AND YAHOO HOMOEROTIC DIRTBAGS

OR THE RETURN OF THEE MIGHTY WONT VOLT IS EMMINENT

I AM PROTEUS

Reply to
proteusiiv

If I've told you one, I've told you a thousand times. You are not my type. If you're that hard up go raid your mommy's hamper again.

Reply to
krw

Siad the total retard with the totally retarded and immature sig for all to see. That places your mental age at no more than 14, you retarded BlownBulb dumbfuck.

Reply to
StickThatInYourPipeAndSmokeIt

The idiot that made the remark that "many NNTP users may all originate from a single IP" is about as dumb as it gets.

For one thing, they are required by law to uniquely ID ALL of their subscribers.

So to that idiotic asswipe... show us an example of your "several users, same IP" claim, jerk.

Reply to
StickThatInYourPipeAndSmokeIt

Him abrading the less than 1/10th of one mil tarnish off with an abrasive does NOT reduce the size of the wire by ANY amount that would be measurable in the setting it was being used in.

At most "hand made radio" frequencies... yes. And the term is efficiency. It comes from the word efficient. There is no word "efficiant".

Reply to
Dr. Heywood R. Floyd

You're an idiot, Roy.

Wrong, Roy... again... as usual.

Proof that you have no clue as to what skin effect is, much less how a cinch type connection functions.

You wouldn't know.

You're a babbling idiot, Roy.

Solderoing and welding are two different things, Roy. I wouldn't expect you to know that, however.

Go take a shower, dumbfuck troll.

Go fall on a sword then, idiot.

Just leave, Roy. And STAY the f*ck OUT! You stupid troll f*ck!

Reply to
Mr. Haney

This thread has gone on along time without seeming to go anywhere. In a hope to end it and move on, I did a Google search. My best immediate hit was:

It gave my reason first--it is easier to solder. The second one was also commonly posted. The tin protects against copper getting oxidized if it sits on the shelf for a long time.

What this site did not say was that the coating is not actually tin. But I as well as many other posters use the term tin instead of solder.

Can we move on now?

Bill

Salmon Egg

Tinning, in soldering nomenclature refers to dipping the stripped ends of a stranded wire into a solder pot after applying flux to it. "Pre-tinned wire" is a stranded wire where the entire length of the wire has been "tinned" (read solder impregnated) during manufacture, before the sheath (insulation) is added.

It is entirely different than TPC, which IS TIN plated copper wire.

Pre-tinned wire is made for manufacturing processes where labor costs have been pared down. It has nothing to do with shelf life other than how it relates to manufacturers and THEIR shelf life during a production cycle. It would oxidize at the same rate that a solder joint does, which is near NONE.

I doubt seriously that you will ever find RoHS "pre-tinned wire" anywhere as it is likely a very poor wire being tinned with RoHS solders.

PVC wire is more porous than tfe is, so it will allow oxygen to attack the wire, even though it is sheathed. TFE allows NO oxygen into the wire via the sheath, so it has a long shelf life regardless of the wire type inside.

So, TPC and SPC are true plated wire assemblies, and "pre-tinned wire" is a cheap way for a manufacturer to cut costs and give a cheaper product as well.

Pre-tinned wire is MORE susceptible to fracture due to flexing of the wire as it is actually a single strand as a result of the way it is made. TPC and SPC are true stranded designs and allow flexure without work hardening the copper inside.

Essentially pre-tinned wire sucks and is a lame choice for ANYONE trying to build a nice piece of equipment. The difference in cost is not enough to say that economizing by using it yields any benefit other than to expose the designer as a cheap, stupid bastard, at best.

Reply to
Dr. Heywood R. Floyd

On the bright side, DimBulb clearly isn't on a NATed IP, so one can confidently filter him out with it.

   \\|/  \\|/     it is illegal to kill them."    Perna condita delenda est
Bob Larter

*yawn*
   \\|/  \\|/     it is illegal to kill them."    Perna condita delenda est
Bob Larter

Bwuahahahahahah! Filter boy doesn't have a clue.

Just so you know, idiot, this is all on the same cable modem.

I *could* also get on the wireless and simply grab up any number of currently unsecured networks in the local area, but that *would* be illegal, as opposed to the fact that I have done nothing illegal on my computer.

Om the bright side, I can prod you upside da haed ANY TIME I want to, idiot.

Reply to
Dr. Heywood R. Floyd

Gee, I never would've guessed, genius.

You should learn to speak English.

Can you? - I don't think so.

   \\|/  \\|/     it is illegal to kill them."    Perna condita delenda est
Bob Larter

I polished the roller coaster ATU in my 62 set with Brasso many years ago, but i think that was solid silver wire? My concern was to get a low resistance contact with the pick up wheel, rather than any surface effect.

Steve Terry

Reply to
Steve Terry

.

g H.323

hese

WISP

ents,

o,

ta delenda est

THIS GROUP IS DISGUSTING SUCKING COX ON SCREEN FOR A LL TO SEE WHEN DID THIS GET RELATED TO PRETINNED WIRE

I AM PROTEUS

Reply to
proteusiiv

YOU ARE BOTH PSYCHOTIC

AT LEAST ROY SEEMS TO HAVE BEEN ON LEGALLY PRESCRIBED MEDS YOU TWO ARE SO HOOKED ON CRACK COCAINUM AND ILLEGAL DRUGS YOU HAVE LOST ALL SENSE OF REALITY I WILL DEEP PROBE BOTH YOUR ANUSES AND RETURN YOU TO A COMFORTABLE IF NOT DECENT LEVEL OF REALITY

I AM PROTEUS

Reply to
proteusiiv

H.323

ese

ISP

nts,

TUWAHAHAHAHA

CLOSET BOY FINALLY COMING OUT ?

SPREAD WIDE

I WANT TO TRY THIS NEW TITANIUM BASED LUBRICANT I FOUND AT NASA ON YOU

I AM PROTEUS

Reply to
proteusiiv

Shut up, Roy, you absolute retard.

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

First, I apologize for such a long-delayed reply. Just recently resumed USENETting after several years. The flaming was pathetic (and apparently cross-posted, no less!). When I tried to delete the flame messages, the Pan newsreader crashed openSUSE 11.1! Needed to reboot. Never happened before... (Pan is typically very stable, ditto SUSE.)

Anyhow, the worthwhile messages brought a lot to mind. (I built my first radio at 6, adapting a Meissner circuit, fwiw, and I'm 73.)

In my experience, untinned stranded insulated Cu wire is rare, and probably meant for uncritical applications that use screw terminals.

Speaking of rare wire types, only once since 1942 have I ever seen two- conductor cable (including line/mains power cords) that had no way to distinguish which wire was which. Otoh, inside a Hammond tonewheel organ, and (late 1950s) perhaps most electric-action pipe organs, multiconductor cables had no wire ID. (I don't know about cables between consoles and the organ proper, though.)

I didn't see any mention of fused tinned stranded Cu wire. Although uncommon in my experience, it's nice to strip in a production environment, yet the bonds between the strands are weak enough that they break easily when the wire is flexed.

Coatings, whether tin, solder, or Ag, must be applied before the individual strands are joined. Didn't see any mention of that.

I distinctly recall reading about relays (probably contactors -- for power -- with Ag oxide/Cd contacts; iirc, those don't weld easily, if at all, but that could be wrong.

Btw, thanks for the chemistry!

Was wondering about the term "cinch" -- whether that's a formal engineering term; I knew them as "crimp" connectors, but I think "compression fitting" might be the formal term. As many know, Cinch was a company that made some fine products; dunno about its present status. (Merged, to form Cinch-Jones, iirc, but what happened to C-J, I don't know.)

An important point about reliable solderless connection schemes, including properly-engineered [crimp] connectors, Wire Wrap [TM}, and Termi-Point is that all make a "gas-tight" connection. The wire and the metal it connects to are forced together under great pressure, typically deforming the wire and maybe the other part as well, so the boundary between them cannot be penetrated by gas (under ordinary circumstances, at least).

I once read that when an intermittent poor connection is suspect, submerge the device (operating) into a vat of sulfur hexafluoride gas, and if there's a non-gas-tight connection, it will open up!

Anybody for Cool-Amp, an electroless Ag plating prep. used for joining Cu busbar? True, that's not for ordinary electronics, but, megawatt stuff, more likely.

Mentions of Cu oxide reminded me of Cu oxide rectifiers, which were in use long before Se, Ge, or Si rectifiers. Cu oxide rectifiers had low forward drop, pretty sure, which helped in measuring low voltage AC.

(Anybody remember Mg/Cu sulfide rectifiers, btw? What was good/bad about them?)

Apologies, and regards,

--
Nicabod =+= Waltham, Mass.
who never worked on megawatt electronics

Here in the UK I've a Desk fan I inherited from my grandparents that has a mains cable with no distinguishing marks - the cable is like a 3 core ribbon cable with clear insulation on all 3 wires (no outer insulation), when I was a kid I once stayed with gran in the summer and wanted to put it on to cool the room and found someone had taken the plug off. Without access to a multimeter I had to disassemble gran's torch and use the battery and bulb to find the earth wire and guess the other 2. As far as I know the plug's not been changed or rewired since.

But then again it's got no guard round the fan blades either (but motor is so weak the blades stop easily when touched) - wasn't health & safety ruling much more fun years ago (I've no idea how old it is, I'm guessing

40's or 50's).
Reply to
Nigel Feltham

Enjoyed your message!

You remind me that Boston, Mass. has apparently been slow to provide AC power everywhere. A friend says that one city building has various voltages, some DC, and some AC. However, he's told other tall tales that stretch credibility to the breaking point.

In the mid-1960s or so, the New Yorker Hotel was the venue of the annual Audio Engineering Society convention. As the exhibits were being set up, all of a sudden word got around that the outlets were DC, most likely 120 V, and UNMARKED! Apparently, line fuses and circuit breakers don't necessarily protect their loads from burnout when the device is fed with DC at rated voltage. (But, universal (AC/DC) motors, anyone?) Whether any motors and/or power transformers burned out, I don't know.

As a kid, probably during WW II, I remember visiting my uncle's office on Bromfield St. which had DC power. His desk fan motor had a lovely little commutator plainly visible on the back; it was maybe 3/4 inch / 2 cm in diameter, if even that big.

Afaik, the U.K. only comparatively recently standardised on those quite- big plugs. I used to read in Wireless World about buying appliances without plugs, because iirc there was no one national standard.

Best regards from across the big pond,

--
Nicabod =+= Waltham, Mass.
using British spelling