What is the purspose of pre-tinned wire?

It has NOTHING to do with audio you retarded twit, and neither do I.

I never made ANY reference to audio EVER in ANY of my responses to ANYONE.

I am referring to the days when I made RF chokes from Solid SPC wire. And the prevalent use of it in military radios and other military gear. I do not expect a dope like you to have a clue, being that you are from a place that gets all its military gear from its allies.

Reply to
Mr. Haney

I guess they assume you do not need to cut it to length. It probably solders easier or stay in a pinch connector better.

Reply to
Van Chocstraw

Cinch type terminations is the proper term, Chocstraw retard.

Also a soldered wire does NOT get retained better in such a connection.

The solder "creeps" away and the connection becomes loose.

Go troll somewhere else Chocstraw.

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

One of the unmentioned uses is in kits. Tinned wire reduces the chance of a bad connection made by someone inexperienced in soldering. (I didn't say it eliminated the chance.)

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

Aren't these problems are surely to do with contamination of the wire plating by the insulation rather than inherent characteristics of the plating?

Worldclass Wire & Cable's catalogue has several charts comparing the properties of the insulation including one on fluoropolymers. However they don't seem to worry much about soldering probably because maybe they presume their users (usually military subcontractors) will clean the wire.

Reply to
Johannes

I don't know Mr Haney or you but AFAICT he seems to write sensibly, accurately and with some knowledge of what he is discussing. I'm prepared to accept what he writes.

Could you cut the noise down please. Thank you.

Reply to
Tyrorex

Tarnish is silver sulphide. It is no oxide. The tarnishing process is as follows..

8Ag + 4HS(-) 4Ag2S + 2H2 + 4e-

Oxygen in the form of a water film is required - silver will not tarnish in dry air. This reaction mops up the electrons lost in the oxidation process

O2 + 2H2O + 4e- 4OH(-)

Although the reaction is a classical redox process the end product is not an oxide - it is assuredly silver sulphide.

Since I'm sure there will be a deal of shouting from people about how this is bollocks, I would point out I have a degree and masters in the field and spent a lot of time researching silver adsorption reactions for silver oxide cells and lead acids - I do know what the deal is here.

As fo silver oxide being conductive - the biggest problem in a silver cell is the extra graphite needed to make it conduct - silver oxide is a p-type semiconductor. Silver sulphide is mode conductive than copper oxide though by a long way and is usedful because then the silver coat tarnishes it does not reduce the skin effect like the dielectric coating of copper oxide will.

Reply to
Chris Street

I own a couple of antenna that are silver plated for that reason !

--
Best Regards:
                     Baron.

Duh. That's what I said. "especially when it is inside teflon".

The FLUX 'cleans the wire' you dippy ditz.

The cases notes are where NORMAL soldering processes do NOT yield favorable results.

It is pretty obvious for anyone with an inkling of common sense.

Reply to
Mr. Haney

No. You are correct.

Reply to
Mr. Haney

You're an idiot, then. DimBulb (latest sock puppet, "Mr Haney") went out of his way to earn the name "AlwaysWrong".

Well, there you have a point.

Reply to
krw

If you will please just go away, the noise issue will resolve itself ;-)

...Jim Thompson

     It's what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.

You don't understand what "oxidation" means.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

I most assuredly do as I pointed out in the post above. The suplhide is an oxidation product but it is most assuredly not an oxide as has been claimed several times.

Reply to
Chris Street

Ou, bad move!

"

Reply to
Jamie

Well I suppose if you were to use the wire with in a normal time from the manufacturing date, you wouldn't need to use that flux would ya?

"

Reply to
Jamie

Solder comes with flux, you total idiot, and solder processes all use flux as well.

That borders on being one of the most stupid posts you have ever made, Jamie.

Reply to
Mr. Haney

"Tyrorex" >"Mr. Haney"

** You need to see a shrink - ASAP.

Cos you are totally NUTS.

Look up " silver tarnish " on Google for f*ck's sake.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

:On Sat, 18 Apr 2009 09:36:55 -0400, Van Chocstraw : wrote: : :>Sandi wrote: :>> Some insulated multistrnd copper wire is pre-tinned and a lot is :>> not. :>> :>> What is the purpose of pre-tinned wire? As far as I can see the :>> advantage is that the copper core doesn't oxidise which means the :>> wire can be soldered or fixed to a terminate with only minimal :>> cleaning. :>> :>> Sounds like a good thing to me, so why isn't almost all wire pre- :>> tinned? :>> :>> Is cost really so different? :>> :>> Does the tinning-coating replace where copper would have been in :>> the overall wire and tinning is of higher reistence? :>> :>> Is flexibility affected? :>

:>I guess they assume you do not need to cut it to length. It probably :>solders easier or stay in a pinch connector better. : : Cinch type terminations is the proper term, Chocstraw retard. : : Also a soldered wire does NOT get retained better in such a connection. : : The solder "creeps" away and the connection becomes loose. : :

: :
: : : Go troll somewhere else Chocstraw.

Irrelevant!!!

These papers deals with using 60/40 tin-lead solid core flux solder and has nothing to do with the tin plating on copper conductors in cables. Conductors are plated using either the hot dip plating process or electroless deposition, and the plating is usually only around 5 - 10 microns thick and it becomes essentially part of the copper alloy itself. I have never heard of tin plating on copper conductors "creeping" in any type of connector.

Reply to
Ross Herbert

On Sun, 19 Apr 2009 04:59:55 GMT, Ross Herbert wrote: Furthermore, if tin creep were a problem then every telephone exhange employing tin plated copper cables in non-soldered connections should have failed in a massive way long before now. AFAIK, even today the majority of telco's still specify the use of tin plated solid conductor wire for internal exchange cabling.