Vintage synthesizers are sometimes cantankerous

I'm building a demo system in my lab, and not one, but _both_ of my HP3325A synthesizers went flatline.

One had almost no output, missing attenuator steps, and distorted wave shapes, and the other one flunked two of its three self-tests. Not good.

Turned out that ripping out the relay boards and cleaning the contacts and connectors with DeOxit fixed both of them. (Score.)

(Thanks to the estimable Herbert Susmann for his web page.)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Ok Phil, I give up. I find some youtube comments and some google+ comments, but I don't think either would qualify as a web page bout

3325's, and herbsusmann.com seems to be a programmer with little hardware (though he mentions a father who's an EE, so might be a son - still, no 3325A info there.)

And no, I still haven't opened mine up for fixing yet. Find the last of the tax paperwork and get that out of the way, then I might be able to clear the decks for it (obviously I like it, I use it from time to time, but it's not critical to my daily routine, at the rate I put off fixing it. I'd just prefer to have some certainty I can get in and get out, rather than have it half dis-assembled for a while and let the cats lose parts of it for me...)

Ecnerwal

It was just a comment, actually, but it's on his Google+ page.

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Yup, some years ago I rebuilt an HP 5100A synth (the original 1964 model that took up about 2 feet of rack space.) It had hundreds of PNP Germanium transistors in it, and about 15 of them had gone bad. I flipped it on eBay as soon as I got it working, before any more transistors popped. Silicon UHF transistors were a beautiful drop-in replacement. The rows of selector button switches were also somewhat flaky.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson